DSR-11 vs. DSR-25 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old February 28th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #1
Major Player

DSR-11 vs. DSR-25

I know the dsr-25 has a lot more bells and wistles...but here's my question...

I have a DSR-11 now and I've had some problems with it. I've had it for almost 3 years and Its needed to be fixed 4 times. Mostly tape alignment and transport problems. I'd like to get a new deck that's more durable and maybe a bit quicker (for digitizing purposes). SO, is the DSR-25 the same deck inside with more options on the outside or is the DSR-25 a superior deck all around?

Thanks.
Mike Meyerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 04:42 AM   #2
Trustee

I've got a DSR-11 that's we've put around 1000 hours on the heads without problems plus at the hire company I work for we've got several DSR-11s and apart from the doors getting broken and the batteries going flat we've never had a problem with them. However with mine at least it's hardly ever ysed for batch capture, just pop the tape in and capture the whole thing. That maybe a factor as suhttling the tape must place an extra strain on the mechanics.

I'm not familiar with the DSR-25 but I'm a bit suspicious that there's a whole line of Sony VCRs which as you say are the same transport with just more bells and whistles.

If you're after something more robust you cannot go past the DSR-30 or DHR 1000, the latter is no longer sold by Sony but you might get lucky somewhere. Be aware though, these are much bigger units.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:25 AM   #3
Major Player

I've used the DSR-30 alot in the past (it's a great deck). I've been looking for one...only seem to find them on ebay and no one has a clue to how many hours any of the have.
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've got 3 DSR-25s at my office and love them. But I can't imagine that by having these as opposed the 11s would speed up your digitizing process. I just ordered an 11 and tomorrow will find out how diffrent it is from a 25...

Call b&h, maybe they can tell you the difrence.
DJ Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:40 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Lewis
I've got 3 DSR-25s at my office and love them. But I can't imagine that by having these as opposed the 11s would speed up your digitizing process. I just ordered an 11 and tomorrow will find out how diffrent it is from a 25...

Call b&h, maybe they can tell you the difrence.
I find the DSR-11 to be sort of slow and sloppy while scanning through tapes...I have a betacam deck that's much faster... OK, I know it's probably not fair to compare a beta deck with the DSR-11, but I was just wondering if for the extra $$, the DSR25 would be a little quicker. When you do get the DSR-11, please post your opinion on the differences.
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:42 PM   #6
Major Player

I have a DSR-25, and once considered the DSR-11 before getting it. I suspect much of the transport is necessarily the same, but I'm sure the DSR-11 requires a more compact assembly due to its form factor. I think it must be similar to DLT tape drives. I have an old Quantum DLT-4000, full height, full depth tape drive, as well as a new Quantum VS-80, which is a half-height drive that will fit into a standard drive bay. Same tapes, very different packages.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:45 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Boy, was I wrong about the 11. My apologies Mike.... I see how this deck can slow down your work flow. IT WAS EATING TAPES RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. I'd throw down a few flights of stairs if it wouldn't void the refund that I will be getting (to put towards another 25).

Only get this deck if you don't mind losing your work. :)
DJ Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:55 PM   #8
Major Player

Wow DJ, Thanks for helping me make up my mind. Besides the eating tape issues, did you get to actually use the DSR-11? Would you say the 25 is faster and more responsive?

I found a place that sells the DSR-25 for $2399 new (and is an authorized Sony dealer, actually the same place I bought my DSR-11). Guess I'll be placing an order soon.

ALSO, B & H said the internals on the DSR-25 are a step up from the 11.
Old April 8th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Mike,

I was wondering where you found your DSR-25 for $2399?

I am about to buy one, and am looking for the best price.

Thanks,

Khashyar
Khashyar Darvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #10
Major Player

Here's the link from the place I bought mine. I couldn't find a better price. Even on ebay they are more. I've bought a few decks from them, never a bad experience.

http://www.videotexsystems.com/detail.aspx?ID=32465
Mike Meyerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line