Sony DSR11 - VTR? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old February 29th, 2004, 12:32 AM   #1
Old Boot

Sony DSR11 - VTR?

Hello people!

Still lusty after a suitable budget/workable VTR. Seems like I'm landing on or near to the Sony DSR-11.

Questions:

1 - I've seen various mentions of a DSR11P and here now at http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Professiona...lInfo?id=61736 DSR11SW. What do the various suffixes mean? Yes I've searched, I can't find a mention of the "difference". Please assist?

2 - Also at the same website there is a "backview" of the beastie - what does the "Auto Repeat" switch do?

3 - I'm presuming that DVCAM means the full size tapes? And that this puppy also does the miniDV too? Anybody had any issues in physically "switching" between the two - yeah?

4 - Under the "Feature" tab, what is meant by, the slightly concerning comment that, "At the same time, it is capable of recording and playing back the consumer DV (SP) format (The transition from cut to cut may not be smooth when recorded in the DV format).

5 - Does the Kit come with a remote? I see thee is a LANC devise available - but does one actually "need" a remote?

Thanks in advance,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 12:51 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The P suffix probably means PAL. I believe the DSR11 can play back both PAL and NTSC, and maybe even record both formats. The analog circuits probably only handle one format.

4- Maybe the deck takes time to switch from DVCAM to DV mode. It definitely has to play back DVCAM footage faster (mini-DVCAM is 40 minutes/tape when mini-DV is 60minutes/tape).

I'm sure someone who has this deck will answer your questions fully.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 12:56 AM   #3
Old Boot

Thanks Glenn for your speedy reply - Yup you are most likely correct on the "P" . .but what then is the SW? . . and thanks for No.4 . . yup .. understood ..

Grazie
Old February 29th, 2004, 01:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have a DSR-11 so here is my take:

1 don't know

2 you can set the DSR-11 up to repeat playback of all or part of the tape. It's done with a hard switch so you can put power on a timer and it will automatically play when the power goes on.

3 yes, both sizes, with no separate adapter required. The only caveat is to be sure there's no full size tape in the machine when you insert a small one, otherwise you get the samll tape rattling around in the space inside!

4 This refers to use as an editing recorder - record in DV, stop tape, start recording in DV again. But I doubt you would be using it for that anyway?

5 Yes it comes with a remote. And you do need it to access things like the configuration menus!

The only caveat I have with the deck (accepting it is a low end deck hence lacks higher end functionality) is the door hinge is flimsy.

Regards,

Julian
Julian Luttrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 01:54 AM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Graham,
I believe that, in this case, the "SW" refers to the retail package that Sony is offering which includes the "EZEditorDV" software (SW) application.

DVCAM, per se, does not specify a cassette size; it refers to a recording format. The DSR11 can handle MiniDV-size cassettes as well as the larger DV cassettes.

The reference to the potential for jagged transitions between cuts refers to clips that might change between DVCAM and standard DV format on the tape. For example, some bonehead might record in one format on a PD150 for 15 minutes, then switch to the other format.

To my knowledge, the DSR11 does not come standard with a remote. It's an additional accessory.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 05:27 AM   #6
Regular Crew

...and you can resolve that seeming contradiction by noting: I mean a wireless remote control unit (that Sony calls a "remote commander") that comes as standard; I guess (but please correct me if I am wrong) Ken means the Sony DSRM-20 "remote control", that might also be called a jog/shuttle controller, which is an optional extra.

Regards,

Julian
Old February 29th, 2004, 08:29 AM   #7
Inner Circle

The DSR does come with a remote controll device... and is effectively useless without it. Loaned the deck out two weeks ago, and the guy lost the remote. Now I can't access the commands and change the setups till a new one arrives.

Also, the door hinge IS flimsy. It's been broken, and cost sixty dollars for a new one.

Other than that, its a great low end "Prosumer" deck.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 08:05 PM   #8
Contributor

All Sony DVCAM decks from the DSR11 up to the 2000 can accept both mini and standard size cassettes. DVCAM comes in mini and standard. The deck will play DV as well as DVCAM, and it will record only DVCAM. Most of the DVCAM decks will also play DVCPRO.
And it is true that you'll have some difficulty if some bonehead (accurate assessment) does put DV and DVCAM on the same tape. That's true with any DVCAM deck.
The DSR11 will also playback PAL tapes, but it won't act as a converter. It doesn't have audio meters and only RCA audio in and out. I've only used one for playback for video projection, so I don't know how it works with an edit system, but there's no reason it shouldn't be OK. It's the cheapest DVCAM deck that takes standard size tapes.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 02:15 AM   #9
Old Boot

Follow-up . .. . DSR11

Bill . .Great detailed response, thanks.

Is there a facility on the Remote to "creep" or shuttle the tape to review it?

I'm intrigued to understand how the DSR11 takes small miniDV tapes and the larger tapes. Are there 2 trays or what? I can't see 2 trays from the photos I've seen on the web?

I'm not too worried about PAL:NTSC conversion . . I've got this within Vegas. As long as I can record PAL or NTSC . . . no problem.

I'm working up a deal, here in the UK, which will provide 20 months 0% PLUS the "Silver" Sony warranty. From what I've seen the price I've been offered represents at least a 12% price drop in a month! Does anybody think a "new" DSR11 is on the horizon?

Grazie
Old March 4th, 2004, 03:53 AM   #10
Regular Crew

How does it DO that two tapes thing?

Looking inside the slot reveals a true engineering marvel - it amazes me the thing still works after much use:)

Julian
Old March 4th, 2004, 08:53 AM   #11
Contributor

All Sony decks that take full size cassettes will also take small ones, and this has been true dating back to the 3/4 days. Those tapes also came in "mini" and full. The mini was, of course, about the size of a large paperback book. Same with Betacam decks--20 and 30 minute Betacam tapes come in "mini" sizes as well as full, and all the decks take both. There is an indicator, sort of little indentions that show you where to put the mini. It slips right in, but you want to be careful when you do put it in. I've never had one go in crooked, but it looks as if it could if you just jam it in with one finger or something.

Graham, you can NOT record PAL with an NTSC deck. You can only play it with the DSR11. You'd have to get a PAL version if you want to record PAL.
Old March 4th, 2004, 10:57 AM   #12
RED Problem Solver

"Graham, you can NOT record PAL with an NTSC deck. You can only play it with the DSR11"

Both the DSR-11 and DSR-25 will play and RECORD both PAL and NTSC. There is no "NTSC" or "PAL" version of these decks, just one international version with a little "PAL / NTSC" switch on the back.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 11:05 AM   #13
Contributor

Wow. Guess I was wrong about that. You get that with the NTSC version sold in the U.S.? I thought I went over everything in the one I used--guess I overlooked that very nice feature. My apologies for totally false information!
Old March 4th, 2004, 11:11 AM   #14
RED Problem Solver

I have a DSR-25 and the DSR-11 works identically in this respect. It makes them some of the most useful DV decks there are....

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 11:49 AM   #15
Contributor

It most definitely would make them the best deal for the money. The 25 is the upgrade to the old 20, isn't it, ie., half rack size? I used a 20 for a long time, and it was bullet-proof.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line