Sony DSR11 - VTR? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old March 4th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #16
RED Problem Solver

Yes, the DSR-25 is half rack size, and it has the little LCD monitor display built in, which is really cute, although what I really like about the DSR-11 is the proper built in power supply (not a wall0wart which is what I think the DSR-11 uses) and the nice big timecode display....

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 12:03 PM   #17
Old Boot

PAL-LAnd is Switchable . .

Errrmmm .. Thanks fr clearing this up Graeme . . always felt this was a far classier spelling of our name - HAHA!

Anyways, I read Bill's non-PAL thingy and thought - 'allo 'allo 'allo . .what 'ave we 'ear then? A missing PAL option . . ?

Here's the tech and the pictures I saw which somehow stuck in my pea-brain:

http://www.nlesystem.com/NLEsystem/d...asp?item=DSR11

http://www.elicr.com/upload_brochure/R15DSR11_BR.pdf

. . anybody for tiny switches? They are there . .

I see there is a LANC type thingy for shuttling? Is this not on the Remote too?

Thanks lads

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 12:14 PM   #18
RED Problem Solver

The little switch is on the back of the deck next to the firewire port and video outs....

Graeme - The Scottish spelling....
Old March 4th, 2004, 12:22 PM   #19
Old Boot

Yeah . .it's in the PDF I posted above . .just in case anybody wanted to know . . thanks - Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 10:01 AM   #20
Major Player

The issue of PAL and NTSC.

The PAL decks I heard will play and record in both formats. I thought I had heard that the NTSC decks won't record in PAL but will playback PAL. Just throwing in what I seem to remember.

I have access to a DSR-40.

The replacement deck, the DSR-45, comes with about five key features not found in the DSR-40.

Probably the same is true with the DSR-25 versus the DSR-20.

Panasonic makes DVC-PRO 50 and DVC-PRO 25. For sure the Sony DSR-40 will not playback the DVC-PRO 50, I'm not sure about the 25.

The one thing I don't like about the DSR-11 is that it basically works via computer control only. There isn't even a footage counter on the front of the unit.

However, it is the most economically priced of the Sony DV-CAM recorders, although those clam Shell DV-CAM players (do those record also?) are intriguing.
Old June 1st, 2004, 04:45 AM   #21
Major Player

Someone in this thread stated that the DSR11 recorded DVCAM, but only played back DV. No one contested this and the specs I have show that it plays and records both DVCAM and DV. Here's a URL to a specification page:
>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=212935&is=REG&si=feat/<
Old June 1st, 2004, 05:39 AM   #22
Major Player

Actually, I think the comment that was made was that the DSR-11 plays back both DV-CAM and DV, but records only in DV-CAM mode. That statement definitely applies to the DSR-40, but I don't know about the DSR-11.
Old June 1st, 2004, 05:53 AM   #23
RED Problem Solver

The DSR-11 and DSR-25 will record DV and DVCAM, but they won't record or play DV LP.

Graeme
Old June 1st, 2004, 06:08 AM   #24
Major Player

I had a tape recently that was recorded in the LP mode and when I took it to a duplication house it played in 3 of the 5 machines it was tried in.

I seem to recall that it did play in a DSR-11. It did not play in a DSR-40.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 12:29 PM   #25
Tourist

Sony DSR-11

I have used a Sony DSR-11 DV/DVCAM deck for about 6 months now with m y Mac dual G5 running FCE (just upgraded to FC Studio). I have had no problems with the deck other than recently the deck will power off for no apparent reason and not power on until I unplug the power supply and wait fifteen minutes. This is, to say the least, very disconcerting. I have yet to have a problem with a live performance (using this deck as a playback source during a live show). However, I know it's just a matter of time. Any ideas?

Also, after upgrading my NLE with FC Studio (with FCP5) I no longer have automatic record when printing to tape. I can print to tape by starting the deck manually. I'm sure I just made an idotic mistake like forgetting a checkmark somewhere. But, I can't see it. I need another set of eyes to help me out here.

Thanks

David in MI

Also, just to make it clear...the deck WILL record and playback both miniDV and DVCAM. It will not play or record LP DV format (long play). I am shooting with a Canon XL2 and have used the LP format for long events that I don't really care about quality. The DSR-11 will NOT play this back. I had to use the XL2 to input to my NLE (not a real problem...just inconvenient).

CHEERS!
David Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
All Sony DVCAM decks from the DSR11 up to the 2000 can accept both mini and standard size cassettes. DVCAM comes in mini and standard. The deck will play DV as well as DVCAM, and it will record only DVCAM. Most of the DVCAM decks will also play DVCPRO.
And it is true that you'll have some difficulty if some bonehead (accurate assessment) does put DV and DVCAM on the same tape. That's true with any DVCAM deck.
The DSR11 will also playback PAL tapes, but it won't act as a converter. It doesn't have audio meters and only RCA audio in and out. I've only used one for playback for video projection, so I don't know how it works with an edit system, but there's no reason it shouldn't be OK. It's the cheapest DVCAM deck that takes standard size tapes.
According to the B&H this deck will record in both DVCAM and Dv.

Key Features

DVCAM / DV Play and Record

DVCAM is Sony's professional version of the ubiquitous DV format. DVCAM offers better picture quality, superior multi-generational dubbing quality and greater dynamic range in its audio section. DV offers longer recording duration and less expensive tape stock prices. The DSR-11 will play and record in both formats letting the user choose which features are most significant to the final product.
Rene Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #27
RED Problem Solver

Both DSR-11 and DSR-25 will record DV as well as DVCAM. They're excellent NLE edit decks, especially the 25 with it's cool little in-built monitor which is super for troubleshooting connections and the like, and more portable too.

Graeme
Old March 7th, 2006, 10:18 PM   #28
Major Player

My DSR-11 was not durable what-so-ever. Being fixed for the 4th time in 3 years...and I wouldn't say it's been heavily used. I just ordered a DSR-25, hopefully it'll hold up better.
Mike Meyerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Hi Mike,

I am thinking about ordering a DSR-25 myself.

How do you like it?

Khashyar
Khashyar Darvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #30
RED Problem Solver

DSR-25 is great. No problems to report.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line