DV Tape for XL1 or XL1S - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old February 10th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #121
Regular Crew

Kevin, what type of Pro Fuji Tapes do you use?

what pro fuji tapes do you use? And are they dry lubricant types??
Dean Orewiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #122
Major Player

I use the DVC-60 Fujifilm DV. I believe they are the only miniDV tape Fuji makes. As far as if they are wet or dry, that's another story. I've read numerous conflicting posts here and all over the net. I think I read more posts that said they were dry than wet, but nothing concrete. What I do know is they work for me. Some swear by Panasonics, others swear by Sony (I believe Sony is wet), TDK, etc. Fujis work for me. Whatever brand, be sure to run a cleaner tape before switching brands or before using a brand new camera.

I get mine from tapeonline.com, great place.

http://www.tapeonline.com/store/prod...VFC%2DDVC%2D60
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 03:17 AM   #123
Regular Crew

thanks Kev

I may pick up some of these because I don't hear many bad things about Fuji tapes...
Dean Orewiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #124
Regular Crew

I have been using TDK mini DV for the past 4-5 years here in South Africa without a single problem!
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #125
Regular Crew

The great tape debate...

Ok, here we go again, I have a new XL1s on the way and want to know everyone's opinions on what tapes work best. I have an old xl1 and have had nothing but problems with the heads (been to Canon twice) and I have come to find out it may be becasue of the wet tapes I have been using from Sony. Now I know that there are hundreds if not thousands of educated people whom, use this forum and have experience with the ole XL1 and XL1s so let's hear your opinions on the Wet vs Dry tape debate.
Jeff Mayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #126
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mayne View Post
let's hear your opinions on the Wet vs Dry tape debate.
All I know is that I stick to one brand IOW I don't switch from wet to dry. I have a consumer handycam that I've always used Panasonic tapes in and I regularly use an XL1 and an XL2 which only get Sony tapes.

It's frustrating to have to stock 2 tape brands but that's how it goes, but none of those three has had more or fewer head clog problems than the other two.
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #127
Wrangler

A couple years ago I tried an experiment to see if a tape brand change would help my finicky XL1s. I kept the one XL1s on Sony tapes and switched the other to Fuji. (Yeah, it was cleaned first.) After a year I concluded it didn't make one bit of difference. Now I've switched back and use Sony tapes on both and am doing just fine. I don't think it matters as long as you -- say it all together now -- stick to one brand. :)
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #128
Wrangler

FWIW, I ran TDK in my XL1 and then both XL2s. I had one dirty head message on the XL2 that cost me one shot, but a head cleaning took care of it.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #129
Wrangler

I've used almost exclusively Panasonic DVM60EJ tape in my XL1 and Gl1.

Any barand can turn out a bad tape (perhaps just containing some debris from manufacturing) every now and then. The higher end master series tapes, usually 2x or higher the price of the consumer tapes, are better in terms of quality control, and perhaps ability to deal with marginal signals. But you pay extras for that quality.

Try a tape, and stick with it if you are happy with the results. Conventional wisdom says clean heads if you change brands or type within a brand.
Old April 10th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #130
Inner Circle

Look here!

Check out his recent post, the one by me, and I hope it helps you.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=90952

Mike
Old April 12th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #131
Regular Crew

Thanks for the responses guys... I just do not want a repeat of the problems I had with my old XL1. I am going to stick with the dry tapes because as I see it the wet tape (Sony) seems by being "Wet" it will attract and hold more dirt. But by all means lets continue the "Great Tape Debate"...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line