Color problems w/ BetaSP deck at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old April 10th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Color problems w/ BetaSP deck

Has anyone ever heard of this problem? I use a sony BetaSP deck (UVW1700G) to capture into FCP and to print to tape. I've been using this deck with relatively few problems for a year and a half. Recently, it has been acting up. When I open the capture window in FCP, the color in the preview window is distinctly different from the color in my free standing monitor (which shows the correct color). FCP captures the wrong color. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to correct this?
C.
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi, C.,

You don't say how you've got the deck hooked up to FCP, but I would start there. If you are using the component cables, then maybe you have one reversed - blue hooked up where red should be, for instance. If you are coming in using an S-video cable, you might check to be sure it is completely connected and check it with a different cable. Other than that, you should check your input settings on FCP to be sure you aren't set to composite input are something else.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Byrne View Post
Has anyone ever heard of this problem? I use a sony BetaSP deck (UVW1700G) to capture into FCP and to print to tape. I've been using this deck with relatively few problems for a year and a half. Recently, it has been acting up. When I open the capture window in FCP, the color in the preview window is distinctly different from the color in my free standing monitor (which shows the correct color). FCP captures the wrong color. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to correct this?
C.
Sounds like a possible sync problem.
Try hooking up the BetaSP deck using a composite output as a reference signal to your computer while it's off. Turn on the BetaSP deck first and then boot up and go into FCP.
Allen W
Allen Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm using a Blackmagic Decklink SP. As far as I can tell, when I print to tape, the colors are accurate. So it must be a video input problem. How exactly would I sync up the deck with composite out?
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Currently, I have a bnc cable looped between "Video Input RGB Sync" and Video Output Video 1" for sync. Should I change these? And why would I have to change them now when I've had no problems for so long?
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Byrne View Post
Currently, I have a bnc cable looped between "Video Input RGB Sync" and Video Output Video 1" for sync. Should I change these? And why would I have to change them now when I've had no problems for so long?
Looks like you already have the right sync connections. Might be something internal.
Good luck!
Allen W
Allen Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Well, the problem miraculously went away this morning. I guess I'll just have to wait for another day to figure out what the issue was. Thanks for your suggestions!
Old April 11th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #8
Trustee

Check your cables to see if something is loose or intermittent or being stretched or srtained
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line