DV Tape in the airport - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old May 4th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Rand...

Actually I'm not too concerned about my tape getting affected by X-Rays, but rather that it was really strange how your tape somehow got zapped by a security scanner.

I figured X-Rays wouldn't affect it much, but am wondering if some other scanning technology might have been in place, such as an MRI or related equipment.

As Bob mentioned, it takes a very powerful magnetic field to affect high-coercivity tapes. I once tried to bulk erase a metal particle Hi8 tape and, while it killed the PCM sound track, the video track was still there. I would assume that DV tape is even more robust.

The biggest concern is the people handling the luggage behind the scenes.

There's a possibility that a luggage inspector messed with your tapes. Before 9/11 and the implementation of the TSA, I had a case locked with a pair of padlocks. When I got home, I discovered that an airline employee or ramp worker had jammed the locks with superglue. I reported that to the airline as well as the FBI -- may seem a bit paranoid, but I suggested that might be a disgruntled employee in a secure AOA. Just takes a little superglue in a static port of an airplane to knock out airspeed, altimiter and rate-of-climb instruments.

Also, just a month or so ago several TSA inspectors in Hawaii were indicted for stealing thousands of dollars of cash from luggage. Federal employess who are entrusted to keep us safe from terrorists are actually thieves?

Still nothing like being cautious and avoiding potential problems. If things get really desperate, then FedEx-ing duplicate hard drives back might be an option once things go tapeless.

By the way -- your camera's working ok, right? The problems your tape exhibited isn't due to a busted tape drive...? :-)
Old August 16th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #17
Tourist

new luggage carry on rules

Is anybody travelling from London to the USA with a professional video camera these days? How are you solving the problem of potential loss of equipment and master tapes?
Any advice woule be appreciated
Cecilia
Cecilia Galiena is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line