Need Mini DV tape advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old May 14th, 2003, 09:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need Mini DV tape advice

Hi...don't know if this is the correct place to post but here is the question. I'd like opinions on the best tape stock to use for recording with a GL2. Some details on the difference between metal particle and metal evap would be great. How do those actually effect the heads? Which is less destructive to equipment? I've use Fuji's M221MP P6-60's in the past for my Hi-8 work, but digital is a whole new ball of wax for me. All advice, ideas greatly appreciated!
Roze Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 09:42 AM   #2
Regular Crew

one other question

Ooopppsss...forgot to ask. What is the general opinion here of those small minidv rewinders? Like the old VHS rewinders? Are they safe or too rough on tape. Thanks for your help!
Roze Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 09:44 AM   #3
Wrangler

I use a "Sigma" brand miniDV rewinder. Works great- good investment. As far as being rough on the DV tapes...not to my knowledge...at least I HOPE not. Definitly saves wear on the camera...plus it's always good to store all your tapes completly rewound.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 10:19 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Actually FUJI is the best one, there was a link to an article either in this forum or someplace else, sorry cannot remember where.
Akos Szemenyei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 10:31 AM   #5
Warden

Roze, you can use the search function and find answers to your questions. Tapes are discussed on a weekly basis. Rewinders have also been discussed in the past. Some feel rewinders pose too high a risk factor for damaging the tape.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 10:52 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks!

Hey Jeff...I forgot about the search button. Still getting use to this site. The info here is terrific. I'm sticking with Fuji. Any opinions on tape rewinders? Anyone else have experience with them? Any favs? Peace, R
Roze Ann is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line