tapes and cleaning at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old May 17th, 2003, 02:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

tapes and cleaning

I have heard a lot about the tapes used in DV cameras. Is it ok if I just go to a department store and buy panasonic tapes or should I get some high quality tape that they only sell in camera shops.
my second question is how often should I clean the heads on the camera and is a certain brand recommended? I have been using a JVC head cleaning tape. thanks
Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2003, 02:34 AM   #2
Outer Circle

http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm

My advice is to find a brand/type you're happy with and then stick with it.

The JVC cleaner should be okay. I suggest only cleaning your heads when you need cleaning, unless you're mixing brands/types---good way to wear out the heads---I haven't cleaned my 2 JVC cams for almost 4 years now. I've only been using Fuji miniDV tape in them.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2003, 04:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

find a brand I'm happy with? whats the difference between sony or panasonic, etc. will I see a difference in quality or is it just personal preference
Old May 17th, 2003, 11:25 AM   #4
Major Player

Sony and Panasonic - two tape brands you DON"T want to mix. There are differences in lube on these two. What get's really complex is that there are fewer tape manufacturers than there are brands. So, apparently Fuji and Panasonic are actually the same (according to the site Frank posted) and Canon may be the same as well.

There are lots of opinions and Frank's advice may be the best. Find one that works for you and stick with it.

There may be differences if you are recording over a tape a lot or under certain climatic conditions (I've had one salesperson recommend the Panasonic MQ over the PQ if you are going to be in climatic extremes) where the tape stock may matter more than others. Unfortunately, it seems to be easier to find 'conventional wisdom' than actual data on types of tape stock, expansion/contraction with temperature, and type of lube.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2003, 08:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

sorry to keep posting dumb questions...but my main question still goes unanswered. Is it ok to buy DV tapes from a department store like wal-mart as long as I always buy panasonic? or is there a better quality panasonic that I will find from say B & H photo?
thanks for all the other info though. couldn't do it without you all answering my questions.
Old May 17th, 2003, 09:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

my opinion.... go with FUJI...
Tustin Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2003, 09:28 PM   #7
Regular Crew

i'm glad you like FUJI but still I need to know if its ok to buy tapes from a department store like wal-mart or is there a higher quality panasonic that they only sell in camera specialty stores like B & H?
Old May 17th, 2003, 10:05 PM   #8
Warden

DV and mini DV are recording Digital information, so the quality will be the same as far as immediate use of the tapes. Higher quality tapes will probably last longer and are more durable under repeated use (playback and recording).

Wal*Mart sells the same tape as B & H (and specialty stores) in the lower grade from respective manufactures. However, you will not find the top grade tapes at the department stores.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2003, 10:16 PM   #9
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Luke,
Panasonic has several grades of tape. The MQ series is their best, the PQ is their "professional". The EJ and XJ tapes are their consumer-grade tapes and are what you are most likely seeing in department stores.

In my experience, the grade you use within the brand is far less important than that you stick with a brand. I use Panasonic's PQ and MQ grades, often waiting for sales and buying in quantity. But I've also used the EJ tapes with no trouble whatsoever.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2003, 01:14 AM   #10
Regular Crew

THANK YOU!!!!
Old May 18th, 2003, 03:41 AM   #11
Outer Circle

Here's a good article:

http://multimedian.com/pcv/school/camcare.html
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line