New Panasonic POVCAM - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old October 20th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #16
Regular Crew

"Good enough" for many sports. If promoted, should sell a few.

Reminds me of the Cohu heads I used in the early 90's.
Daniel Symmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 02:03 AM   #17
Inner Circle

More features, I agree but compared to the Bradley or Sony cameras it's just so big! The whole point of a POV camera is to make it small and wearable, after all it's supposed to be a Point of View camera. It wouldn't be practical for example to mount this camera on a helmet for a sky diver or stunt pilot.
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:23 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Rafael,

1. I don't see a picture stabilizer having much use in a POV camera. It certainly would be detrimental on a vehicle or aircraft mount where it would make the picture appear less stable if you have foreground objects.
2. Field of view. 1/4" chips do not lend to exceptionally wide field of view and tax the lens more than a 1/3" imager. I do agree that 3 chips is better than 1.
3. The HD-10 can be controlled over any distance including wireless, in NASCAR it is controlled over miles of fiber and alternatively RF'ed.
4. It has "real" white balance including presets, manual, one touch and ATW.
5. The version of the HD-10 we build is MUCH smaller and simply outputs HD-SDI on a BNC, there is no exotic cable to fail.
6. It has interchangeable lenses.
7. It is waterproof
8. It produces SD, HD, Progressive and interlace.
9. The HD-10 (Bradley's version and mine) is currently being used successfully by some of the largest sporting events in the world (Olympics, NASCAR and many others)

I would also think that if you could use a slightly bigger camera like that, the Toshiba IK-HR1S would blow it away. I'd take a HD-10 or the Toshiba going into a Nano any day.

The panasonic is a cheap POS camera like most POV's and other cameras of similar cost. It makes pictures no doubt, I doubt you would have much luck getting a V1 to like it.

Jeff
Jeff Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:31 AM   #19
Regular Crew

The Bradley re-housed HD-10 is 2.35" w x 2.3" H x 4.0" L

The Panasonic is 2.1" W x 2.2" H x 4.8" L

The Toshiba IK-HR1S is 1.75” W x 1.75” H x 3.1” L (add ~1.5 inch length for a fixed lens)

The Sony HXR-MC1 head is 1.5" W x 1.7" H x 3.5" L

I don't really get why some here seem highly critical of this camera.

I don't think the Panasonic is wildly out of line with regard to size and weight of the camera head. I have a fair bit of experience using helmet cameras to shoot POV surf material (which is an extra pain in the ass because you have to account for the extra weight/bulk of a water housing) and I don't see the size difference between all of these cameras being a large differentiating factor for anything other than the most extreme uses. You can do pretty intense activity with a pound or less of camera on a helmet mount, so long as the camera is mounted as close as possible. All of these cameras are well under that mark. Having an extra pound or two of controller in a backpack is a non-issue so long as it's not a power hog.

The MC1 does start to have a size advantage over the other zoom lensed cameras, but has other issues that make it less desirable, like the lack of 720p and having an inconveniently sized front lens element if you wanted to use a fisheye or ultra-wide adapter.

Also, based on the information that has come out on the HMC40 (the resolution has been tested at ~800 lines for example), I would expect it to perform in line with the others available in this class. The HD-10 is based on the sensor block from a consumer camera (HC5), I would not call it a POS.

As mentioned, it is not good that the panasonic uses a proprietary cable, but neither does the MC1 or any other camera that allows remote control of zoom and camera settings, you would need a second cable for the IK-HR1S or HD-10.

For my use I just purchased a IK-HR1S because I will be shooting predominantly fisheye/ultra wide angle and I would much rather have a C-mount fisheye than use a century adapter over a fixed zoom. The rehoused HD-10s were an option, but the Toshiba seemed a little smaller and more straightforward to set up just using a small portable monitor. If I needed something with a remote control zoom lens and I was sure I wasn't going to need more than 100 feet of cable (the longest optional cable that panasonic is selling for this camera) I would strongly consider the new panasonic. For broadcast uses uses such as Nascar that Jeff was referring to, I think the customized HD-10s will still do well just based on the fact that Sony has left the control architecture open to be taken advantage of and it is strongly supported by people such as Jeff and Bradley Engineering.
Mike Sertic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:31 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Our version of the HD-10 is 1.9" high, 2.3" wide and 1.4" deep (add .6" for a interchangeable lens). It takes data in and spits out HD-SDI. We use 1 cable into the camera and break out the connectors. There is no CCU. We can use Bradley's control box to paint it.

I think the point is that that as a true POV camera, a zoom lens is not the best choice. It increases the size of the unit greatly, is impractical to shoot extremely wide shots (which is key in most POV) and is generally poor quality. 20 pin cables fail, just ask anyone who ever owned a IK-TU camera.

Having a interchangeable lens camera with no CCU, which outputs HD-SDI into a NanoFlash is certainly the cats meow at this point (especially the Nanoflash part of it). The Toshiba does a pretty good job of it, the HD-10 a bit less so.

Incidentally I consider almost every POV camera a POS. Basically if they don't cut with a truck camera they are, if I have to start by apologizing to the V1 (and you know who you are Billy), they are. The only one which comes close to be truly good is the SI-2k which creates raw files and can't be used live (and is too big, expensive, and, and...). Oh well.

Jeff
Old October 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Jeff,

I am pleasantly surprised/mildly shocked that you have packaged that camera so compactly with HD-SDI output. A couple questions:

1. Do/can you make that with a C-mount for the fujinon FE185C057HA-1 fisheye?

2. If I wanted to set a frame rate, gain, and an auto exposure mode and then leave it set, would it hold the setting through power interruptions and is there a convenient and/or cheap way to do that with a laptop or otherwise?

2. How much for what I would need for the above and a couple of cables?

You can send me an email at michaelsertic at gmail dot com, I just placed my order for the Toshiba but I could probably still cancel it.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Sertic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:09 AM   #22
Major Player

I thinking about a POV camera more to be used as a kind of super light jib, than to be set it in a jet or a F1 car.
I think in this situation I would like to have all the controls and features of a normal camera, Picture Stabilizer included.
I haven't tried to compare the PANA with the Bradley.
i understand there are two different categories of product.
Whoever I'm still thinking that, at least out of the brochure, the PANA offers much more than the SONY. Sure the SONY would be the best if you want to hide the camera.

Jeff, I really would like to know more about the Bradley and the remote heads.
I've been having a look few times in the web site (every single thing looks so great).
But when I don't find prices on the web sites, normally I don't dare to ask because I expect a fright:-)
Could you send me that to?: nagavideo at nagavision dot com.
Best,
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:22 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Rafael,

David Bradley has monitored this site in the past, he may respond directly. We have bought equipment from David Bradley for several years now. When I have been in a bind, they have always risen to the occasion. He and his staff have been very responsive, honest, and they build well made stuff which they stand behind. While their prices are not cheap, I think they are fair. (Hey David, can I get that discount now? lol.)
Full disclosure, I don't sell Bradley equipment or work for them, I'm just a happy user of their equipment.

Jeff
Old October 22nd, 2009, 09:21 AM   #24
Major Player

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the info.
I will contact them.
Cheers,
rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems