Helmet Cam - The Best Way? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 04:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Helmet Cam - The Best Way?

A client just forwarded me some scripts.
They want to simulate first person perspective (POV) of an Easter bunny cooking around the house (I know - strange). This would be a perfect use for a helmet cam but I am coming up with nothing on google.

I'd love to attach my HV-30 to the top of a bike helmet or something like that but would rather just purchase something pre-made and bill it to the client- budget is 500.

Anyone know of any products or mounts to achieve this?

Thanks!
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Major Player

In my research just came across this: First GoPro HD Hero Helmet Camera Review With Videos - PointofViewCameras.com - Helmet Cams, POV Cam Store

Interesting stuff.

And of course the attached photo with a SI2K mounted.

Interestingly, I called two rental houses here in L.A.
Both thought I was crazy for asking for a helmet cam rental - go figure.

-C
Attached Thumbnails
Helmet Cam - The Best Way?-helmet2.jpg  
Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Christopher here are some of very effective pov cameras.

Helmet Cams,Vholdr Wearable Cameras,Vio POV 1.5 Cams, Gopro Helmet Hero Cameras, Liquid Image POV cams - PointofViewCameras.com
Garry Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Christopher, for what you are looking to do, your HV30 on a mount (most likely with a wide adapter) is probably your best bet. Check out skydiving gear companies, they have helmet mounts you can purchase. For example, Parachutes? Skydiving equipment? Shop ParaGear.com! lists some reasonably priced helmet mounts.
Mike Sertic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Do not, repeat DO NOT buy an SD helmet camera. The resolution is GARBAGE

Go to HD Helmet Camera and 1080p HD Helmet Cam - ContourHD by VholdR and opt for their ContourHD helmet camera in 1920 x 1080p or 1280 x72. I have several of these things and they ROCK.

If you need waterproof, consider the GoPro version but they are more difficult to operate.

I've tested the ContourHD to over 150 mph. They work flawlessly.

The are less than $350 all inclusive

Last edited by Craig Lieberman; November 6th, 2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: More dialog
Craig Lieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #6
Trustee

Craig,
Please describe the grain of the VholdR in lower light. Is the picture noisy or very clean?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #7
Major Player

Actually, I went with the GoPro HD. Saw some footage and was amazed.
They are completely back ordered, even from the manufacturer, so won't get the unit until the end of November. The manufacturer told me they are releasing a firmware update to allow for Analog Component HD output for live view- which will allow me to bypass the SD.

Cool stuff.
Keep in mind, all these cam systems are fixed focus and almost fish-eye.

I also contacted doggiecam systems. It turns out they built that rig posted above for the SI-2K. Small world.
-C
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
Craig,
Please describe the grain of the VholdR in lower light. Is the picture noisy or very clean?
My experience is that all of these "micro" HD cams suffer in extreme low light.

Watch this clip to see the camera in action in a range of lighting conditions.

Please note that these clips were filmed with their 1280 x720 cameras...their new versions are 1920 x 1080p.

Old November 9th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #9
Major Player

Good stuff Craig. Didn't note any auto settings (aperture or auto-gain) from the footage.
I've seen that grading before - is MB Looks or Color?
The angle of view from these cams are crazy.
Noticed that windshield mount- does that have the standard 1/4" or is proprietary to VholdR?
Would it work with a HV-30?
-C
Old November 9th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Some of the footage is MBLoooks...this was an early rendition.

No, the cameras seem to have fixed focus and settings...I'll investigate further.

The bracket and mount for the ContourHD is a weird deal.

The suction cup mount is normal and uses a locked/fixed 1/4" mount to a PROPRIETARY slide-style bracket that holds the actual camera.

Another words, the mount will ONLY work the Contour.

If you need other types of mounts, look at Panavise and at Filmtools: Hollywood's source for grip, electrical, lighting, sound, video and film supplies I have several types that I use for my HV20 and HV30 and they all came from Filmtools or Panavise.

I even developed a camera mount for car tow hooks and an adapter to RC cars...you should see some of that footage!

By the way, Chris...the HV30/HV20 is TERRIBLE for on car/in car use...in case you wondered. Too much jello from the CMOS sensor and the vibration just makes the footage shaky, no matter what we try, even with multiple mount points. We've found other solutions for in car, if you ever need that info, email me at craiglieberman@cox.net
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #11
Trustee

Guys u won't believe but there's another thread i opened on the forum abou my difficult choice on these 2 cams!I need the camera to mount on a fighter jet cockpit.What do u suggest between the contour and the go pro?Here's a link to something i really like to achieve from the cockpit
YouTube - Speed and Angels (Pt.4)
other question:once i mount the camera, how do i know what am i framing?

thx a lot

Last edited by Marcus Martell; November 10th, 2009 at 09:18 PM.
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #12
Trustee

Other question:
I live in EU, i'm planning to go in Us next mont;if i buy the cam over there will i have problem with the recording format?It records in NTSC over there right?We use PAL....Or is there a multiformat option?

thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post
Guys u won't believe but there's another thread i opened on the forum abou my difficult choice on these 2 cams!I need the camera to mount on a fighter jet cockpit.What do u suggest between the contour and the go pro?Here's a link to something i really like to achieve from the cockpit
YouTube - Speed and Angels (Pt.4)
other question:once i mount the camera, how do i know what am i framing?

thx a lot
Short answer, you don't. Since they're both slightly fisheyed, you only have to be "close", or, you can frame it, film 10 seconds, view it on a laptop and make adjustments prior to takeoff.
Old November 11th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post
once i mount the camera, how do i know what am i framing?
Again, this is why I chose the go pro hd - they will release a firmware upgrade that will allow live monitoring. So far, this is the only one on the market to offer such a feature and was my deciding factor for the camera.

-C
Old November 12th, 2009, 02:51 AM   #15
Major Player

You could borrow a wide angle lens (or not) and do it handheld on the hv30. These POV cams are great, but unless the script calls for a different 'look,' you may interrupt the flow of the story with such a dramatic change in visual styling. In other words, I don't think the POV cams will match the hv30.
Jad Meouchy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems