GoPro LCD back now available - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old April 4th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: GoPro LCD back now available

I much prefer an external monitor if i need to frame with the Gopro.

I'm not into this BacPac thing at all, the only thing i see it useful for is to frame up a shot, remove it and don't even use the extended housing at all.

It just adds weight, size, sucks power, increases heat (the GoPro with BacPak we measured at 45C) and has the potential to shut your camera down at any time during recording.

I prefer to use this if i need to frame, it has av in, av out, it's own battery and charger, records 480p to a 16Gb mini SD and comes with a tiny button camera for surveillance use. The screen brightness is as good as an LCD on a Canon HD camcorder. All for $100.

Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #32
Major Player

Tom, the screen is washed out with bright sunlight, even when shaded with a hand I was unable to see it. Nevermind that it gets so hot and shuts itself off anyways.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #33
Major Player

Here's the awesome bright image from this little monitor. One photo take with a very bright light shining on it the other with the light down low.

Old April 5th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #34
Major Player

Is anybody having trouble getting the lcd to come on? I think I downloaded the latest firmware. How do you tell if you have the firmware upgrade?

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Asseff View Post
Is anybody having trouble getting the lcd to come on? I think I downloaded the latest firmware. How do you tell if you have the firmware upgrade?

Dan
Before I downloaded the correct update, if I plugged the LCD backpack in, and tried to turn on the camera, all I would get was a clicking sound, coming from the tiny speaker. Camera wouldn't turn on, and light on front would kind of blink funny, like a little bulb that was starting to turn out. Once the proper firmware update was installed, the LCD screen fired right up, no problems.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #36
Major Player

Jeff

What is the correct firmware? I downloaded v01.01.54.zip What firmware do you have?

Dan
Old April 5th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:

Dan
You can identify the FW by taking a photo and reading the EXIF data in any decent photo editor, or if you have windows 7 just right click and go to details.

If you need to revert to an older firmware,the download link is listed and identified below.

31/08/2010 V02.05.11 (One Button Video, Upside Down, PAL 25/50, etc)
30/01/2011 V01.01.46 (LCD BacPac)
01/03/2011 V01.01.50 (Battery BacPac)
04/04/2011 V01.01.54 (3D)
Old April 5th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #38
Major Player

Ian

I downloaded the one for the 3d camera. so all I have to do is download 30/01/2011 V01.01.46 (LCD BacPac)
Does it replace the other firmware? I really appreciate the help, I have the balloon fest shoot starting Friday.

Dan
Old April 5th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #39
Major Player

well i think it is the LCD and not the camera. I tried three different firmwares and none worked. If you have any suggestions let me know. thanks

Dan
Old April 5th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #40
Major Player

Dan,
If you have any other version on the SD card except version 01.01.46 ( that's the one to enable the LCD backpack), plug the card into your computer, and delete them. Once you've updated the software from the card, you are supposed to delete the BIN file from the card if it doesn't disappear on it's own.
The first time I tried to update my gopro, I neglected to eliminate the BIN file from the SD card, and it hung the camera. ( I believe it was trying to read two firmware versions at once)
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #41
Major Player

Wayne,

I did it exactly like you said with no prevail. I really think there is something wrong with the LCD.

Thanks,
Dan
Old April 6th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #42
Major Player

Sounds like it must be. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful....that's about the limt of my troubleshooting skills I'm afraid!
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #43
Major Player

Dan
Does the camera boot up with the lcd attached? If it doesn't I would check to see if the firmware is actually updating. When I first tried my lcd I got nothing to work. No blips, clicks or flashes on anything. Loaded V01.01.50 and away it went.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #44
Trustee

After installing the update, did you switch off the camera, unplug any USB lead, then press and keep holding down the top button until it switches on, then press the lower button three times until it cycles through the settings (keeping top button pushed in throughout)?
That's the way to actually activate the firmware update - in case you weren't sure ;-)
Did it last night and LCD works like a dream...
Old April 6th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Wayne,

I did it exactly like you said with no prevail. I really think there is something wrong with the LCD.

Thanks,
Dan
Dan, do you have LCO/LCF in the settings menu?? If not then the FW upgrade did not install.

Here is what is working for most people having issues.
Use the latest version of the FW above (or any of the FW from V46 >)

1. Delete everything on the SD card via a FAT32 format in windows. (use a card reader not the supplied USB cable)
2. Then place the card in the camera and format in-camera by using the delete ALL menu (this will place the correctly structured folders on your card)
3. Put the card back into your card reader and drop the extracted BIN file onto the root of the card (NOT in any folder)
4. Follow the FW upgrade procedure http://gopro.com/wp-content/uploads/...ions1.1.46.pdf (Remember, it needs the red LED charging indicator to blink at least 5 seconds.........then it is a proper firmware uploading. After that check LCO or LCF menu is available)
5. Finally remove the FW from the card by formating in windows and then Delete ALL again in - camera.
Ian Newland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems