External mic arrangement - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old September 6th, 2012, 02:01 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: External mic arrangement

Well...the first el cheapo mic has turned up and works...
Attached Images

Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 03:09 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
That looks great. You should market it!

How's the sound, and how weather resistant is it?
Old September 6th, 2012, 04:19 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui View Post
That looks great. You should market it!

How's the sound, and how weather resistant is it?
I've got the Go Pro case pretty waterproof but the mic won't be water proof at all. I'm expecting another el cheapo mic of a different sort any day so it will be interesting to see what that is like.

What's the sound like? Who knows? I tested the sound in the sealed case, and couldn't hear a thing. With the mic, it was fine...well...better than nothing. I haven't anyway of testing its quality, but I wasn't expecting great audio from it...only cost a couple of $US...
Old September 6th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Shucks Renton

Sure you could afford such a mic??? I have bought one too...for AUS$4.70 (and free shipping) it's worth a shot as I really only use the Hero audio to sync footage ...at that price if it doesn't work I can toss it in my junk box

Amazing how cheap they can sell these for!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:15 AM   #20
Trustee

My second elcheapo mic turned up today...and works...although it is quite a lot lower in volume...
Attached Thumbnails
External mic arrangement-gopro-mic-2.jpg  
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
Could you post a few photos showing this modification?
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #22
Trustee

I presume you mean the modification of the Go Pro case?

I bought an extra case, marked the centre of the external mic plug on the outside of the case, drilled out with small to large drills until I got a hole size that would take the rubber gomit I got. (First I located a suitable 'L' mini jack > mini jack, and then got a gromit with a hole to suit the size of the plug. As it turned out I didn't have many options.)

I've found in drilling out using small to large drills - particularly in softer material such as plastic, that the larger drills can tend for some reason to wander off the centre, and this happened. This meant that the gromit is unfortunately not actually centred on the external mic output. It's near enough however and the rubber squashes up on one side as the jack is plugged in. The plug is a pretty snug fit in the gromit but I'm not sure if the case is totally waterproof with the plug in it...certainly not waterproof for immersion in water...I'm not going to try it. It's probably not bad for rain, though the mic would get wet...

Also the gromit on the inside needs to be compressed a bit by the camera as it is put in the case, because it encroaches a bit on the camera space. ( I may pare the gromit down a bit on the inside...or maybe not...)

The slot in the gromit for accomodating the case material was slightly narrower than the case so I countersunk the outside of the hole in the case very slightly to allow the gromit to fit better.
Old September 9th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #23
Major Player

Renton, for future reference when drilling a smooth surface such as plastic or metal you do indeed need to start with the narrowest drill bit possible to avoid wander; but also try sticking a piece of tape such as gaffer tape to the surface as this should give the bit just enough purchase to keep in it the right place.

This works on bathroom and kitchen tiles as well :- )

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 04:47 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Riding View Post
Renton, for future reference when drilling a smooth surface such as plastic or metal you do indeed need to start with the narrowest drill bit possible to avoid wander; but also try sticking a piece of tape such as gaffer tape to the surface as this should give the bit just enough purchase to keep in it the right place.

This works on bathroom and kitchen tiles as well :- )

Pete
Thanks Peter. I've never had an issue on harder materials....though sometimes the same thing happens when drilling aluminium...particularly thinner stuff. I normally put masking tape on ceramic tiles but more to allow me to have easily discernable marks to cut to...does help reduce chipping as well. I've done plenty of cutting of ceramics...use diamond blades...but not much drilling...have tried diamond drills...still takes ages. Difficult to centre punch ceramics but the surface needs to be broken.

I actually can't imagine any tape would stop drill wander. The only thing that will I think is that as the drills get bigger, you shouldn't use too big a step up in size....
Old March 10th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #25
Tourist

Renton,
Do yo remember where you found the 90deg "L" jack? I have looked everywhere and can't find one with long legs on both ends like that.
Thanks Larry S.
Larry Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #26
Trustee

As I recall, I just picked it up from the electronic store 'Jaycar' in Wellington...
Adaptor 3.5mm Stereo Socket - 3.5mm Stereo Plug Right Angle - Jaycar Electronics
Old March 10th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #27
Tourist

Thanks for the info!
Larry
Larry Stephens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems