Public opinion of the HD1 video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old April 18th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Public opinion of the HD1 video

Hey everyone,

I recently did a presentation using video shot with the HD1. The shots were clean and clear, creating quite an impression. I was told it was some of the best footage the company has seen in some time and was asked to produce a promotional video for them. It wasn't right for me so I had to turn them down. Still, it's impressive to see such a commotion as a result of video from my little HD1.
Old April 19th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

All the whining about Sanyo HD-1 quality...

Hey Chris-

I hear you...the Sanyo camera does deliver some impressive picture quality. Period. It has a lot of shortcomings - so do other products.

Sanyo footage will always be better than the footage I didn't take 'cause I did not want to haul around a Sony HC1 (or similar) clonker.

I love my DVX100 and I haul it along every dive trip at an excess 60 lbs. Can't wait for the HD-1 underwater housing to come out and give it a serious try.

Guess what, under water, even the best camera falls short due to lack of light(ing), so one brings HID lamps and what not to spruce up the colors.

I am anxious to see the HD-1 perform with powerful lamps...and hopefully reduce the need for excess luggage.
Old April 19th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Oh man I hope someone comes out with an affordable underwater housing for this camera !!! Drool Drool !

I only need 100ft !

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com
Old April 19th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Chris,

As much as Im impressed with the HD1, Im pretty sure its not the ideal underwater camera. the dynamic range is rather narrow, this will result in quicker than normal drop off in the light, so very quickly in a short distance from the lights you will have solid black.. a camera with a wider dynamic range will have a more gentle drop off.

Aside from that, I finally managed to get some of the footage edited from the clips I did in lancaster last weekend at the california poppies.. I dumped it on eyespot.. sadly eyespot do not support HD images at all.. Oh Well. http://www.eyespot.com/blogs/bo

Anyone happen to know a video blog which will host 720P....?

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV
Old April 20th, 2006, 02:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Depends on the lights...

I understand your point. As far as I am concerned, even lighting is a must under water in order to get even color rendition throughout the scene.

So, if the lighting has to be even accross the camera's FOV, would that not alleviate the concerns about dynamic range? I use 2 24W HID lamps with diffusing filters and video reflectors. At night dives, they evenly illuminate the whole scene, at daytime they just faintly add some color w/o creating hot-spots.

Anyway, I think Eqpoue is coming out with a housing in May...after my trip to Palau...

Bo - did you get my IGES file?
Old April 20th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Daniel,

Yes I did get the file, only I have not had any time to play with it yet as im on the road for this and next week.

Yes the lights will do the trick, the thing with the dynamic range and low sensitivity more is that your lights will look dimmer than they might with a camera better lowlight performance.

AHA.. so there IS a UV housing comming out for the HD1... hmm might have to get one just to have it.

Bo
Old April 20th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

well I dont care either way :-) its simple really. I have nothing else to record this kind of video with so "whatever" it gets it will be better than the alternative I have.

IE Nothing :-) hehehe

Any idea on the approximate price of this housing ?

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com;
Old April 20th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #8
Regular Crew

UW housing...

Apparently, Epoque did not want to make a housing at first, but costomer requests changed their mind.

I guess the pricing will be close to their current line-up for the older Xacti models...$450++.

Ouch, but comes with the territory of low volume manufacturing - and their housings look superb. You an always try Equinox (huge, heavy, Home-Depot style but universally adaptable) or an Ewa-Marine plastic bag (no good for depth but maybe available for rent to check out performance of camera prior to housing purchase).
Old April 21st, 2006, 06:23 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Daniel,

Just checked the Epoque site, $450 is not a high price for a nice piece of hardware like that, it seems like it would be expensive to cast and manufacture a small run of these. (smile) and there are much more expensive UW housings on the market..

Im looking forward to see if they do release one for the HD1.

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)