any firmware ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old June 1st, 2006, 06:47 PM   #1
New Boot

any firmware ?

first of all, i apologize for my next poor english...!! i've done many visits on the site to read reviews, comments and download your samples & footage. I think i've understood how to consider the HD1 now.
i know why i could buy it or not, and for what to do.

i saw an update of C1's firmware. Obviously, major part of you here probably don't need this because of manual parameters...

wouldn't it be possible to ask sanyo an update to fix problems, and make interesting the "auto" mode? just to make the sanyo easier to use, and more efficient...

i know brands can accept lists of bugs, problems, from many customers : qtek, Cowon (iaudio) do this easily.

i have a last question : i actually record with a JVC GRD200E dv cam (1,33p). Can someone could confirm me the HD1 would shot better...?stills & videos...!!

thank u again
Old June 3rd, 2006, 09:49 AM   #2
Major Player

Cowon make the some of the best portable media players in the world - while Sanyo aren't at the top of the video camera game at all.

But it will be interesting to see whether there is a firmware upgrade - and whether the camera's limitations can be resolved through firmware anyway.
Old June 4th, 2006, 02:03 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Jones Senior
Cowon make the some of the best portable media players in the world - while Sanyo aren't at the top of the video camera game at all

i know i got the A2 pmp!! nearly all-day updated !! lol
i think sanyo won't do it if it's not asked (as u said their not at the top of camera brands)

Graham you got the HD1 i suppose? Are the video quality far from a middle class DV corder? I 've difficulty to compare. It is easier to compare with better HD camcorders, but that's not what i want.
Old June 4th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #4
Major Player

It's neither like a middle class DV corder or a HDV device.

Reminds me more of a Super 8 camera, actually, because it's extremely limited yet capable of creating shockingly beautiful images in certain conditions.
Old June 5th, 2006, 03:04 AM   #5
New Boot

yeah i understand. Choice is not easy. My dv camcorder don't do nice movies...but if i change, maybe i should wait sony hdd or HC1-HC3 being cheaper.

thanks
Old June 5th, 2006, 06:21 AM   #6
New Boot

But the reason i want an HD1 is coz i can get it for under £400.

Its small light, doesnt use tapes and produces good video. Ok not amazing quality, but for £400 what do you expect?

SO im hoping for a firmware update before i make the purchase.
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #7
New Boot

exactly, my first reason to buy is its cost...on eastbay, i can get it fo 600€ (HD1+extra battery+4GB SD). I just have to sell my previous DV corder.

Any guys to send a common mail to Sanyo asking a firmware?
Old June 5th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi! I e-mailed Sanyo Spain reporting the bug and asking for a firmware. They contacted Sanyo Japan and are waiting for the answer. I attached this image to explain the problem: http://www.i-real3d.com/Archivos/HD1Bug.jpg
I think that Sanyo will develope a firmware if a lot users demands it. The common mail is also a good idea.
Bye!
Old June 6th, 2006, 08:22 AM   #9
New Boot

thanks for your post Carlos, i had not already seen the bug on the pixels. Your picture joined is a good idea.
I'm gonna ty to email SanyoFrance too, i suppose you agree i use your picture with it.

if someone is ok to do a common mail, we could make a list of bugs and email it to sanyo.

Knwon bugs:
- split screen bug?
- stabilization OFF mode needed
- poor quality in dark environment
- diagonal pixels
- ......??
Old June 7th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #10
Regular Crew

BAD NEWS. Sanyo WILL NOT release any Firmware for this camera. They know the bug, and they will correct it in the next models (HD2?), but not in the HD1.

Here is the answer from Sanyo Spain (in spanish):

"Disponemos de una contestación desde Japón sobre este asunto y la respuesta no es positiva. Reconocen el error en la cámara pero no se va a crear una actualización de Firmware para mejorarlo. Solamente en posteriores modelos se corregirá.

Lógicamente no estará usted satisfecho con la respuesta y lo comprendemos, por ello le invitamos a que devuelva el producto a la tienda donde lo compro y solicite el reembolso del importe.

Atentamente, un saludo."

I hope you understand my translation:

"We have an answer from Japan about this point and the answer is not positive. They recognize the camera´s error but an actualized firmware will not be created to solve it. Only will be corrected in next models.

Logically, you will not be happy with the answer and we understand it, for this, we invite you to return the product to the shop were you bought it and request the refund of the money.

Attentivly, greetings."

:-(

Massive mails to Sanyo Japan!!!
Old June 7th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #11
New Boot

i sent an email to sanyo france, i think it's sanyo europe. Waiting for their answer but it will probably be the same as you got.

Massive mail to sanyo japan s a good idea :-)

HD2 ??? no previews on this?!!!
Old June 8th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #12
Tourist

Recall?

Maybe there should be a recall then of this camera. If they are unwilling to fix it in a firmware release, I think it's a big enough bug to warrant recalling the cameras.
Old June 8th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I'll stay with my HD1, even if they don't fix the firmware. But when I replace the unit, my new one won't be a Sanyo. If they won't release a firmware update for such apparent flaws, they don't deserve my future business. As I see it, the issue is one of honour. I'm very surprised that the Japanese, with face and honour so strong in their culture, would consider it acceptable to leave such a flaw in their units. The answer is a discrace. And even with honour aside, do they not realize that it's us early adopters that create the stable base that masses move on? Their choice is hardly strategic.
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Serrano
BAD NEWS. Sanyo WILL NOT release any Firmware for this camera. They know the bug, and they will correct it in the next models (HD2?), but not in the HD1.
This is indeed a bad news. It must mean that HD1 didn't make enough buzz and the user base is small enough to ignore. How else would sanyo say it so blatantly? It is very unprofessional, and quite cooperation-like of sanyo.

How can we make this into a bad publicity for sanyo? Anybody care to start a petition?
Old June 10th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #15
Inner Circle

They won't put out an firmware update, they should at least fix it up straight away for all the new batches coming off the assembly line.

With all the existing performance glitches, and problems reported with this camera lately, it's existing doesn't deserve a good name. Screens that go off, and fall off, I think I heard that one, is just incredible.

It would have been great, if Sanyo deserved a medal for the performance or the quality.

You are right, people need to email and complain.

Carlos, maybe you could ask them when the next model is coming? After all that, you can email them again and tell them that you are advising everybody to do as they said, and return their Sanyo cameras for a refund, or not buy them, that should interest them. Maybe users can't do the upgrade, or the bug is hardwired into the encoder chips, and can't be changed until the present batch of chips runs out.

Last edited by Wayne Morellini; June 11th, 2006 at 09:31 AM.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)