Hi everyone, Is my hd1 defective or a new bug? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old June 14th, 2006, 12:53 AM   #16
Inner Circle

I moved this here as obviously you already replied while I was editing it in:

What Graham said, I agree with, it seems to be dragging on, even a temporary hold to sort it out, and reporting it to ebay that there maybe a problem, before you go the full way. Somebody is goign to get negative feedback at the end of the day it it doesn't work out, as long as it isn't you. But, you got to ask is it really worth it. It would be good if people could verify it is as a problem first, by picking up their cameras in dark room and seeing ip the purple lines comes up.
Old June 14th, 2006, 12:55 AM   #17
Major Player

That question is not as easy for me to answer - my tolerance for poor low light videography is so low that I tend to stick with natural light!
Old June 14th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #18
Inner Circle

But surely it is just a matter of picking up the camera tonight, putting one very dim light on (as John did) and filming dark places like in Johns clip, putting the thin in the base and playing back to see if it is there, two minutes. It is quicker then replying to this post.

John, I notice that they give 12 month warranty, so at least if something breaks with the grey import you can get it fixed, and you don't have to have it back by 7 days. If you take too drastic action against them prematurely you might get bad feedback.

It is a sellers warranty, is that what they mean by local agents, their local agents, not Sanyo Australia.

I remember when Sanyo used to be a significant company, even when Sanyo was an Australian company, and almost the time when Canon was, and Haminex, and Kambrook (bought by LG) etc. Pity.
Old June 14th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
It would be good if people could verify it is as a problem first, by picking up their cameras in dark room and seeing ip the purple lines comes up.
Yeah thats what I've been waiting for. Unfortunately even after 30 downloads there hasnt been much feedback regarding this matter.

I've got a friend whom I showed the xacti to recently only to have his purchase held back due to this issue. He is now considering the sony hc3 simply because of its availability and probably better QC. I am suprised that they didn't know better and asked me to check with Sanyo Australia. Without a warranty card, its obvious Sanyo would not respond to my request and this is just a waste of my time.

Wayne: Yeah, its seller's warranty, I am fine with it as long as they honour it. Further more, I prefer to exchange it because the repairing could mean more problems in the future. I believe mass manufactured miniturized electronics isnt meant to be handle by hands, and what more if the person isnt a top tier sanyo engineer. I mean, this stuff are manufactured mostly by automated proccess, I doubt u could tweak a ccd or fix dead pixels with a tweaser... this is why I rather have it exchanged

Last edited by John Carlson; June 14th, 2006 at 10:43 AM.
Old June 14th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #20
Inner Circle

It might be an adjustable setting that suppresses the lines, but otherwise, they either send it to Sanyo, or replace it. Some things are just thrown away, because it cost too much to repair them.
Old June 14th, 2006, 02:51 AM   #21
Major Player

I just tried it and didn't get exactly the visual symptoms you refer to. It looked awful, obviously.
Old June 14th, 2006, 03:25 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Jones Senior
I just tried it and didn't get exactly the visual symptoms you refer to. It looked awful, obviously.
Hi! Thank you for your input.

it can be a little hard to detect if the camera is set to HD. however it is still very much visible. Its most obvious when its on tv shq at iso 400 or 200. And yes it does look awful. While random noise are expected, I cant stand the concentrated collumns of lines as shown in the bottom of my video. Sorry to trouble you but have you seen my video?

Update:Either my browser isnt working(which is both firefox and IE) or their after sale support link does not work

http://www.digitalrev.com/ebay/au/default.asp
Old June 14th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
I moved this here as obviously you already replied while I was editing it in:

What Graham said, I agree with, it seems to be dragging on, even a temporary hold to sort it out, and reporting it to ebay that there maybe a problem, before you go the full way. Somebody is goign to get negative feedback at the end of the day it it doesn't work out, as long as it isn't you. But, you got to ask is it really worth it. It would be good if people could verify it is as a problem first, by picking up their cameras in dark room and seeing ip the purple lines comes up.
I will not leave a neg feedback yet. However if this drags on too long, I just might have to. and I wouldnt mind recieving one as long as I know I've done nothing wrong and this is a matter of principle. They should get it sorted out for me and not at my expense.

I've provided them the link to this thread twice. they simply ignored it in all their replies as if it wasnt part of my email. it isnt really that hard to get one of technicians to have a look at it.

Update:Either my browser isnt working(which is both firefox and IE) or their after sale support link does not work

http://www.digitalrev.com/ebay/au/default.asp

also, if you notice in the ebay page, they have a skype id for me to contact. I've added it to my list and am still awaiting authorization from them since yesterday!
Old June 14th, 2006, 03:43 AM   #24
Major Player

"Sorry to trouble you but have you seen my video?"

Yes, I have watched that, but couldn't replicate it during my own short test.
Old June 14th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #25
Regular Crew

New shots,

iso 400: tv shq

http://files.filefront.com/SANY0034M.../fileinfo.html

Iso 200: tv hq

http://files.filefront.com/SANY0036M.../fileinfo.html

Either I've begun to notice it more or it seems more obvious. These are in brighter condition. I did try shooting around the room in hd. And that too is clearly visible. If you guys want I could upload the hd file as well.
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #26
Regular Crew

John,

For what its worth.

I can replicate the snow, but not the purple lines.! have tried again and again. not happening.

Sorry.

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV
Old June 14th, 2006, 10:20 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone. And for some weird reason, I consider this as great news. Not only it put my curiosity to rest, I can be sure now that is indeed defective and will demand an exchange without doubts.

Sencondly, I am very glad that an ok hd1 will be great and not as bad as what I've experienced. Low light is important to me, even at the expense of grain... which is ok since its random, but I cant tolerate the fact that every video I record in less than ideal condition makes it look as if I was recording a from prison cell.

Thanks to all who took effort in sorting it for me. Extremely appreciated.
Old June 14th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #28
Regular Crew

John,

You said "low light is important to me" - with that in mind, as much as I appriciate what the HD1 does do and have done for me.. I have to say.. the HD1 is NOT by any means a low-light camera. ;-)

Bo

www.bophoto.com/HDV
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:25 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen
<snip> shots agains solid surfaces just do not fly well at all. most of the clips which looks good are with moving backgrounds with "stuff" in them. ;-)....<snip>
Yes! This is a problem with mpeg, in general, including mpeg2 (notice the noise and moving textures on homogeneous surfaces on DVDs). H.263 mpeg4 (HD-1) is worse. H.264 mpeg4 (AVC) is perhaps somewhat better, but often trades blocks for the moving textures on the same, nearly homogeneous, surfaces. Dark / low contrast regions are the worst!

This is actually the artifact that drives me the most nuts. Blocks and ringing are usually not a problem to my eye, except at (too) low bitrates.

Speaking very generally here. ;)

-Cal, DivX Forums Moderator
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:29 PM   #30
Regular Crew

This is getting frustrating.

They told me to contact Sanyo australia to confirm the defect. today would be my 2nd time calling them and the results are as expected:

Sanyo will not bother with it for two reasons.

1)there is no warranty card to speak of and

2)it is not available in the local market and so they can't provide advice of any sort.

It would be tommorow before I can get another reply. I am suprised that they don't know better that it isnt available here and sanyo will not entertain such request.

It would be faster if they could provide me their local agent's contact number but somehow, after 3 request for it, it was ignored and no number given.

Also, they said they couldn't download the video and my discription isnt clear enough for them to justify that is indeed a defect.

I've been mailing them since last saturday, This is taking a little long for a no hassle defect replacement or refunds.

Last edited by John Carlson; June 15th, 2006 at 10:40 AM.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)