Hi everyone, Is my hd1 defective or a new bug? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old June 16th, 2006, 05:10 AM   #31
Inner Circle

They should know, and you have explained it to them that Sanyo just doesn't do it. But you were contacting Sanyo Japan, and I take ti they are the market your camera was to go to, that market is the one responsible for answering your questions (but Japanese headquarters is good still).

They (the seller) don't understand, then explain it to them better, they are fuzzy vertical columns at the bottom of the screen disappearing as they go up, not straight pure liens. They mar the image and make it look slightly ridiculous the worse ti gets, and with the already snowy picture are just a bit too much. Attach an JPEG of the worse frame you can find, actually two if you can find a really bad one in a well lit area as well. View the JPEG quality before you send it. If they say they can't view the JPEG then maybe they are no being honest, or maybe not competent.

If windows media player can't play it, maybe they are trying to play with that, tell them that they need to download to camera and play to HD TV through it, or load it into the Sanyo software at 1280*1024 resolution. If they can't do anything like that, it would be amazing, though you could try telling them to try Quicklime (or DIVX if that si compatible). What ever you do attach the jpegs so they have no reason to say they couldn't do it.
Old June 17th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Hi,

I am not sure how else to explain the problem. I've provided this link and I've stated many times that there are lines that shouldnt exist on a normal working hd1.

If they can't even work on how to download or playback the videos, can you imagine attempting to repair it?!

Because they only seem to answer my quiries via ebay msging system and not mails I send from my email account. I am unable to attach any jpgs.

Also, I dont think they are taking me seriously.

Here is what happened. In a reply from them yesterday, I recieved a pregenerated form which I am suppose to fill up and attach it to my returning parcel.

Here is the thing,

1)In the list of items that I am returning, they only require the camera, and the battery. I would expect that since it is suppose to be replaced, I should be sending the entire package back. Otherwise how would the serial numbers match? And this is not a matter of being vague either because the form has a clause that explicitly states:

"3) Only item(s) listed in the 'Items Returned' section are authorised for return. Please note that we will not process any additional items returned that are not part of the above list."

2)Secondly, in a box that discribes my reason for returning it says:

"Return Reason

Purple noise randomly appear under iso 400 mode. No problem in normal lighting conditions"

Which is not even my reason at all!

Bare in mind that they also repeatedly reminded me that if there isnt a defect, I am liable for all cost incured during the return.

Guess it will be Monday night before I hear from them again... sigh.

Update: Their agent in Australia is very friendly and helpful. I am glad that he decided to inspect some of the videos I will be sending him and give me a faster response, even when its a weekend

Last edited by John Carlson; June 17th, 2006 at 05:30 AM.
Old June 19th, 2006, 12:49 AM   #33
Inner Circle

That's good, I don't like the sound of the other mob. Did you put a hold on the payment, or did you do direct debit?

BTW, which region do you live in, I'm in North Queensland?

I tried a Samsung the other day, I was told new models were 6 to 8 weeks away, they are the bunch doing a h264 720p camera. Too small for my hands, does this one handle better?
Old June 19th, 2006, 04:00 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Hi,

They finally took me seriously and decided that it wasnt a joke after their Australian agent took the initiative to download the vids and send it to their HQ. As a result, I was told to send the entire package instead of just the camera.

I think it handles pretty well but thats not for me to decide since its my gift to my GF.

However, my opinion is, I love how you can do almost everything with your hand in shooting position. Truly one handed operation and the joystick is fantastic. There are things which I found extremely useful such as unlike most cameras, you do not need to switch to playback mode to review a photo or video you've just shot. You can even have it deleted in the proccess. I find this awesome and I am sure my GF will love it. Beats switching back and forth everytime u wanna view pics.

The weight to size ratio is also very good. To me, just the right weight to keep from overshaky. Also the way it is designed makes it very comfortable to orperate. Unlike normal video cameras, this one just feels more natural on my wrist and grip and does not induce the strains like a normal video camera would if use in long periods.

Inspite of the noise in low light, honestly, if you dont shoot everything in auto(which is my guess on why there are so many negative reviews on amazon and such). It is pretty suprising and I was expecting less. To me, noise is better than darkness! But don't take my word for it on this one, I am coming from a sony-dsc m1. Which is pretty bad in lowlight situation excepts the videos are almost noiseless.

Do you have links to the upcoming samsung cameras? I am pretty intrested as well
Old June 19th, 2006, 07:32 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Have a look at this:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/search.php?searchid=530747

Pretty much has all the links to Samsung, Ambarella and AVCHD h264 camera information, just skip all the threads listed there from this forum.

The Sony HC1 is the standard that all HD cameras should aim to beat. The Sanyo manual controls are nice from what you guys describe. Let's hope that all future cameras are at least as good as these two cameras in each and every way. From the quality of past Samsung cameras, I would recommend a careful look first.

I'm glad your problem is sorting out, they should have looked at it in the first place.
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #36
Regular Crew

They finally decided that they will issue a refund. However, they mentioned that they've done so on sunday but I've yet to see it in my bank. Lets hope I am not getting my leg pulled here as this is taking rather long for a bank to bank transfer
Old June 27th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #37
Regular Crew

John,

In my experience, refunds always seems to post rather slowly.. go figure.

Bo

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)