HD1 black screen info needed - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old August 11th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Congratulations Mirek.
Old April 29th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #32
New Boot

We'll it's happening!
I am now seeing the "Post" blackscreen syndrome more and more

When people with no camera repair skills try to take apart the HD1 they often rip a flexible PCB that's attached to the back button panel...
So people watch out, don't ruin a perfectly good camera...

On another note has anybody had luck getting replacement parts from Sanyo?
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #33
Tourist

I just experienced the black screen issue after couple years of usage of HD1.
Thank to this thread I was able to disassemble the camera and clean the iris blades. Now it is back to work again.
I guess I will keep it until the next generation of HD1000 comes out.
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #34
Tourist

HD1 lens assembly

Congratulations Mark for starting this most worthwhile thread.
Did you ever have the time to do a step by step photographic essay into the dismantle of the Lens Assembly of the VPC-HD1.
I have everything apart except the lens assemble, I need more specific know how. I'm also treading very carefully so as not to rush in and ruin the camera.
Your valuable expertise would be most welcomed indeed.

cheers Jennifer
Old July 4th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #35
Regular Crew

OK My camera decided to black screen on me this morning. I was devastated its well out of warranty sadly.

SO I took the dive and with the MINIMAL text direction on this thread I took a shot (thanks SO MUCH to the one who posted the directions I think it was 3 of you all together with the info I needed)

I could not find any easy way to get the damned thing apart (the iris assembly) I was able to REMOVE the iris halves with only removing the lens assembly cover but it was clear it was impossible to REINSTALL them without further disection.

I ended up having to remove EVERYTHING the entire circuit path assembly in totality. Once I did that it became clear how to put it back to together (they are KEYED one has to go in FIRST before the other and on the right side.

I am absolutely astonished! NOT ONLY did I manage this without destroying it (I am truly amazed by that alone) but it also now WORKS AGAIN !!! YEAH !!!

I took pictures of every single step of this process High res close up shots. I am far far too tired as this took HOURS to do (much of that trying to figure out how to do it WITHOUT dissecting the assembly fully) once I dived in and DID IT the process was quite fast and straight forward. the scariest part was slowly every so slowly removing the protective tape layers without damaging the ribbons. Just go slow.

I am going to post a fully toot later this week with pics etc.. of the entire process as best I can. I am also going to make a PDF and hope others will host it as well so we never lose this knowledge.

I also used q tips to remove as much fluid from the two rails for the zoom assembly as I could. For good or bad this should limit how much grease is in there to prevent this from happenning again.

you only really need a set of jewlers screw drivers. the set from Dollar Tree proved quite adequate.

Once you get to the speaker USE IT to magnetize your screw driver trust me its important. those buggers are tiny and many are recessed.

Handle the IRIS gidgets with UTTER CARE. I dropped them so many times NEVER attempt to "pick" it up. put a piece of paper next to it and BLOW from the side gently to blow the iris onto the piece of paper to pick it up. it will dent or bend VERY easily.

I had no alcohol so I used q tips and VERY gingerly cleaned them as best I could using one qtip to hold it and the other to rub it clean. I went through many qtips to make sure I never had any with oils or grease on them. I use tweezers very gently (hence why I dropped them so many times) to put them back into the camera.

I am just so happy and so exhausted that it works again. This camera is my baby. its my video machine and my ultimate macro machine. (you can almost TOUCH things and focus on them)

YEAH !!! Not sure it will help but if I ever manage to get another one of these I plan to leave the iris assembly OUT of the camera and see if that improves low light performance. this will restrict it to indoors only but thats ok :-)

its low light performance as it is is NOT that bad. its not great but not horrible either.
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #36
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Taylor View Post
I am going to post a fully toot later this week with pics etc.. of the entire process as best I can. I am also going to make a PDF and hope others will host it as well so we never lose this knowledge.
Really looking forward to this Chris, hope you put it up soon!
Old December 27th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Just thought I'd resurrect this old thread in case anyone is interested.
I passed my little HD1 on to my cousin, who has now experienced the black screen issue and my usual technique of giving a smart tap on the side won't fix it.
So I took it apart following this thread and the pdf manual that is referenced on another thread.
Rather than just desticking the shutter, I raised the 2 little clips that hold the blades in place and removed them completely. Reassembled and all is working. Whether this shutter is actually used as an exposure control or just to protect the sensor from direct exposure to the Sun has always been a mute point with me. As I move the camera around I can see the shutter speed changing, but I can also point it at a light source and watch the aperture reading changing. And when this happens, the picture dims. Whether the system is just adjusting the sensor gain, I don't know. But I'm happy to give it back to my cousin like this!
Particularly since in our Northwestern UK we don't get to see bright sun very often...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)