Just Got My NextoDI! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions
Pro Video NVS2500 and other Nexto DI location backup devices.

Old November 8th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #31
Regular Crew

I wouldn't be using the USB for ANYTHING.

CF in for internal copy. Out via eSATA.

It would be cheaper overall if you buy bare drives and swap them out. I've heard of this being done.
Old November 8th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #32
Major Player

Well on a real computer, yes I would use a faster bus but my main computer is an iMac and that's the only way to use a Nexto is USB. There is no way to put an eSata card in an iMac.

I also have a stack of 10 small compact aluminum hard drive laptop cases that I use to archive projects to, especially when the project has to travel to someone else. These cases are great because they are self powered with firewire 400 and all aluminum keeps them cool. You can edit right from the footage on the drive.

The cases are only $35 and the bare 500GB Western Digital hard drives are around $84 if I remember right. Definitely a low cost archiving solution, and again each project can be archived for less than $100.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #33
Regular Crew

The MAC's were the first with ExpressCard and now they're even turning their backs on FIREWIRE.

Sad state of affairs.

I use an inexpensive ExpressCard eSATA solution on my Lenovo laptop. I can have up to four externals at the same time which is great for location work.
Old November 8th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Symmes View Post
I wouldn't be using the USB for ANYTHING.

CF in for internal copy. Out via eSATA.

It would be cheaper overall if you buy bare drives and swap them out. I've heard of this being done.
Dear Daniel,

The Nexto DI 2700 used to be available without a hard disk drive.

In fact, my two original, person units were purchased this way. It worked fine for me.

But, I purchased the best, highest capacity, rugged laptop internal hard disk drives available.

Others did not always purchase a suitable hard disk drive for use with their bare-bones Nexto. This created a nightware for Nexto.

While their Nexto (the bare bones unit) worked flawlessly, the unit as a whole, with various hard disk drives did not. This created a major problem for Nexto handling problems that were not of their making.

Background:

Since the Nexto is such a small, compact, fits-in-your-hand device, many use it that way.

I remember starting file copies with the unit in my hard, then continuing the transfer for some time while I was waving it around. Eventually, I would just put it down.

Later, I found out that only a select few hard drives work well in this "waving it around while in use" scenario.

Nexto tested quite a few hard drives from various manufacturers. Most major brands did not pass this test. These include some brands that I personally consider top notch.

While we were working with Nexto in order to become a dealer for this device, I wanted to be able to purchase the hard drive separately. This was not an option.

I came to the conclusion, for Nexto, that this made good sense as they can ensure that a suitable disk drive is always used.

I yielded on my request and in return Nexto provided us with a two-year warranty on all units that we sell.

I hope this helps.
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Dan -

I wasn't assuming "waving around" as the NEXTO would actually reside near the script super, STATIONARY. Hard drives tend to not like "waving" in my experience.

I only suggested the drive swap because of what Aaron was thinking.

Can YOU confirm (or not) that the 2500 CAN copy to it's internal AND an external eSATA at the same time? I THOUGHT I read of this.
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Dear Daniel,

I will be speaking with Nexto's expert on Monday. I will try to determine if "dual output" is possible.
Old November 8th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #37
Regular Crew

...and ask them about the 2700 too, please?

I'm looking at the 2700 as the primary repository of verified footage transfered from the CF cards. Then I will reformat the CF card and put it back in shoot rotation. I then plan to back-up the Nexto unit to another drive... presently I have a couple OWC Mercury On-The-Go 500GB drives. It looks like I will have to do that through my MacBook Pro... I'm not seeing any other way. But please ask.

I agree with Mark that the 2500 seems overpriced but if it can do this whole CF-to-Nexto-to-OWC transfer thing simultaneously, the 2500 might be worth it. I have no real plans to watch playback on the 2500 but I am sure once I have it, I'll use it.

Thanks Dan... and everyone else on this forum. This is ...by far... the most open and helpful vendor site I have ever seen. Your openness and Dan/Mike/Tommy's participation here are making this purchase decision a no brainer. Oh, and the nano itself is pretty cool too. ;-)
Old November 8th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Dear Bob,

Yes, I will be asking these questions for both the Nexto 2500 (with video playback capability) and the Nexto 2700 (no video playback capability).

Please note that their are other differences that make up the units, but the video playback of the 2500 is the most distinguishing feature.

Thank you for the nice words about us being open.

We feel that being honest and open helps everyone, including us.

If we have problems, we try to post them here. Users, of course, report problems here also.

This allows us and others to comment on the problems, which can be a real benefit to all. If something is not working, then everyone should take steps to avoid the same problem / setup or condition.

And, we can take immediate steps to eliminate the problem.

While we talk openly about problems and successes, we also feel that the nanoFlash is very reliable and is being used professionally every day. We shipped over 500 units by the end of October and very few are sitting on dealers shelves.

The physical conditions that the nanoFlash has been subjected to have been rather extreme.

One example was the Extreme games in Los Angles this year.

Another is sending 8 nanoFlashes to 80,000 to 98,000 feet and back while recording. One flight ended in a crash landing that destroyed the camera without any damage to the two nanoFlashes on board.

Surviving the heat, high humidity and rough conditions of West Papua New Guinea for a month is another example.
Old November 8th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #39
Trustee

The Nexto I wish Existed

Hi Dan:
The next time you speak to the Nexto DI folks, could you let them know I want to buy a 1 TB nexto with Video & Audio monitoring capability. For this I willing to pay $1, 500.00 and not a penny more.
Mark Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Current issue (4NOV09) TV TECHNOLOGY has a review of the Nexto 2500.
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #41
Major Player

A significant difference between the 2700 and the 2500 is ruggedization. The 2500 has a harder enclosure and rubberized end caps. I suspect that there are additional shock mounts for the hard drive and I know that Nexto tested several drive mechanisms for durability.

When you consider that Sony is about to market a similar device which only reads SxS (naturally) and which is more bulky than the Nexto AND which will sell around $2200, the 2500 represents excellent value.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Size and the fact it accepts virtually ANY card, with eSATA out????

At least for feature production, it's a must. Consider it a time saver (i.e. saved $$$) and an insurance method (i.e. avoiding DISASTERS).

The other models fit other aspects, but this one does it all.
Old November 11th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Answers from Nexto?

Hey Dan,

How did your meeting on Monday go with the Nexto Experts? Enquiring minds, etc., etc...

Thanks!
Old November 11th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #44
Major Player

Maybe they decided to put a Nexto INSIDE the XDR. There's enough room in there, I've checked.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Dear Bob,

I can report that the Nexto's are not designed to record to the internal disk and to an external disk via the eSata connection simultaneously.

I can also confirm that the Nexto 2500 is a more rugged device.

The 2500 does not have audio output.

The 2500 works well with Snow Leopard. I am certain that the 2700 will work well also.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions