Just Got My NextoDI! - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions
Pro Video NVS2500 and other Nexto DI location backup devices.

Old November 12th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #61
Regular Crew

Bob -

Indeed we need a solution.

Some have commented how negative having a laptop on location would be.

Since mine is everywhere I shoot, this isn't an issue.

Consider: if you already have a decent laptop, and it has an ExpressCard slot, you can use an ExpressCard CF reader, and copy to a simple, cheap external drive (or internal if you have the space).

Lexar will have such a beast soon.

Yet, as I have EX3 SxS cards as well, the 2500 still has it uses. It IS a good concept. But USB2 is too slow for use on a set (in my humble opinion, of course).

The feature I'm working on is considering NOT reusing the CF cards. For a 98 min. film, 5:1 shooting ratio, @100 Mbps rate, we're talking 6, 64GB cards. With a current price of $299, we're only talking $1,800 for "original camera negative."

At night, my assistant uses a laptop or NEXTO to copy the cards as a backup. The original cards would go to editorial. The backup (external) would go on a shelf at a different location. Security.

Should NEXTO be listening, with ever-increasing need for transfer speed, eSATA obviously trumps USB. Of course, if USB3 can be implemented...
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #62
Major Player

Nexto notes that the NVS2500 "forward compatible" with USB3. Whether that means there is a potential for USB3 upgrade remains another question.

I have just reviewed the 2500 and in fact was an original beta tester of the unit. I have direct contacts with the engineers in Korea and I wrote to my main contact indicating 1) users would prefer eSata over USB for dual backup 2) Is there going to be an option to upgrade to USB3?

I'll keep the board posted of anything I can reveal without violating any NDA's!

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #63
Regular Crew

Great, Ned.
Old November 12th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #64
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Symmes View Post
Consider: if you already have a decent laptop, and it has an ExpressCard slot, you can use an ExpressCard CF reader, and copy to a simple, cheap external drive (or internal if you have the space).
I have a great laptop. I guess like you, I was hoping to leave it in my briefcase and do everything through the 2500... well except for the ProxyMill proxies. CD is recommending the SanDisk Express Card 34 for the eSATA connection.

You are right. One of the big draws of the Nexto is the security. That's why I was going with it as the primary back-up and the OWC drives as the secondary back-up.

I too vote for activating the eSATA spigot for simultaneous back-up!

Thanks, Daniel...
Old November 12th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #65
Major Player

BTW, 2500 is now compatible with JVC ProHD formats as well as Canon 5D

PR rep just called me.

These new formats are added in the 1.06 firmware update now available on www.nextodiusa.com There was nothing that I could find that detailed any features of the update. However, the rep did tell me about JVC and Canon 5D. I updated without a hitch.

Ned

Last edited by Ned Soltz; November 12th, 2009 at 10:01 PM.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 07:07 AM   #66
Major Player

The word from Nexto is that eSata would require a hardware change and that it is under consideration for a later successor version to the NVS2500. Likewise, USB3 would require a hardware change. An upcoming firmware update to the 2500 will increase X copy speed. His recommendation was to copy card to 2500 in the field and sync at some later point

And I just found the document detailing the 1.06 firmware update.

This is most important for the Convergent Design board since 1.06 adds compatibility for playback of nano and XDR files!

Ned

Last edited by Ned Soltz; November 13th, 2009 at 12:08 PM.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions