Nexto eXtreme Info at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions
Pro Video NVS2500 and other Nexto DI location backup devices.

Old February 16th, 2011, 02:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Nexto eXtreme Info

Hi Guys,

Im looking for a definitive answer but cant seem to find one through the threads.

I want to purchase a Nexto eXtreme so I can offload SDHC cards using the MxM adapter which will use the Nexto USB port. (I want to keep my SDHC cards in the MxM adapters for safety)

I then want to hook up an external drive to the Nexto using eSata - the drive will be a OWC Elite-AL Pro Mini which will be AC powered. Bus-Powered Portable OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro mini FireWire 800/400, USB2, eSATA

I am also using a Mac Pro and have concerns if having a drive formatted as FAT32 (as thats what Nexto claims to use) will ruin my workflow.

Any comments are much appreciated
Mark Andersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Maybe I should ask:

Can you back up media using the USB port?

Cheers!
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:30 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Nexto eXtreme Info

Mark,
No definitive answers here. But...
I have a NEXTO 2500, and have been using it primarily to back up SxS cards.
Not quite sure which model you're talking about when you say Extreme - I also have a 2700 which says 'Extreme' on it - but it doesn't take the SxS cards (I use it for CF cards from my NanoFlash)...
Anyhow, on the 2500, I love it for the Sony and Sandisk SxS cards -- its transfer rate is about 5GB/minute.
However, if I put one of my Hoodman SXSXSDHC card adapters into the 2500, it doesn't recognize it. If I take the SDHC card out of the adapter and go straight into the SD slot on the 2500 it transfers fine - at about 1GB/min.
The 2500 does give me the option of hooking up a second hard drive to it directly, though I've only done so with small bus-powered drives using USB. (Not sure whether this will work with esata.) Since the NEXTO is FAT32 format, it also requires the external drive to be FAT32. Not every drive seems to work, and as near as I can tell it is a powering issue. Lacie drives require more power than the NEXTO provides. Presumably this would not be an issue with an externally powered drive.
Because the small USB drives are slower / and use USB connectivity - this slows down the transfer rate considerably if transferring from SxS to the internal and external drives simultaneously. Haven't done it coming from a SDHC card, so can't comment on it. Probably little effect on the speed since it's all USB at that point.
The main limitation of FAT32 is that the maximum file size is limited to under 4GB. The advantage is that pretty much all systems read and write to it.
I wouldn't try to output an edited piece to a FAT32 drive because of the file size limitations, nor would I try to 'combine' a lengthy shot to a single file in Clip Browser. However, for transferring and storing original camera data it works great.
HTH,
Dave S
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Dave,
Thanks for your reply much appreciated!

Mark
Old March 3rd, 2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Tourist

With Apple addding the "thunderbolt" connection (12x firewire 800 speed) to the laptops, is there anyway to use the firewire 800 port working with the thunderbolt and achieve faster transfer speeds from the Nexto 2700, 2500 and/or 2525?
Scott Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #6
Contributor

It definitely won't work with eSata. Only the USB OTG port supports direct connection of another hard drive which is what you would expect. eSATA by definition relies on host PC with an eSATA connection.
eSATA has no protocol to work without a host PC.

Not sure about he MXM adapters via USB but why would you? The Nexto extreme supports SDHC cards natively.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #7
Sponsor: NEXTO

I'm Larry Seong of NextoDI.

Hope this be the definitive answer for your question.

First of all, there are two different product line up some times which share same number.
The one is photo backup storage line up which start with [ND] prefix since 2005 and the other is Video backup storage line up with [NVS] prefix since 2009.

The model number of first photo product was ND2500 while the first video product was NVS2500.
Seems this made some confusion and we regret on that.
The ND series had nick name for each device and Nexto Extreme was nick name of ND2700.

Both device has small LCD and rechargeable internal battery and internal hard drive and memory card slot.
Major functionality of both device is copying memory card from card slot to internal hard drive at the field where computer and power is not available.

The [NVS] series is designed as more safer and reliable device based on 5 year know how from [ND] series.
The difference between [NVS] and [ND] is
1) SxS card and P2 card support for proffesional video camera
2) Video preview for user confirm
3) More shock resistant mechanical/HW/SW design including freefall sensor and 'Sector Recovery' function

Now back to the question.
1) Copying SDHC memory card using MxM reader using USB
SDHC card can be copied from SD slot on the ND2700.
ND2700 also supports USB card reader.
But not sure about the compatibility with your MxM memory card through USB.
We don't tested with the MxM adapter.
So it may work if it keep USB Mass Storage specification, but not sure.
2) Secondary copy to external eSATA hard drive
NO. ND2700 does not have eSATA host function.
The eSATA port of ND2700 is not for eSATA hard drive.
It is for computer connection.
Instead ND2700 offers USB OTG port.
You can connect external USB hard drive and make secondary copy to external USB hard drive.
ND2700 has 'SYNC' function which synchronize internal hard drive and external hard drive.
This means only new backup copied. If both drive contain same backup, that back up does not copied again.
To do this, both ND2700 & external USB hard drive should be powered by wall power adapter.
Some USB hard drive could be operated by bus power supplied by ND2700 but cannot be guaranteed to all. If you using AC powered USB hard drive, then you can do it through USB.
3) Compatibility with MAC.
MAC had compatibility issue with FAT32 formatted hard drive until OS version 10.2
If you using MAC OS 10.4 or more, then you have no problem using ND2700 with your MAC
4) Tip on making secondary copy to external USBhard drive
You need to format the external USB hard drive at MAC using FAT32.
ND2700 does not recognize MAC native format(HFS+).
And need to make NEXTOEX folder on the root directory of that USB hard drive.

There are only one model which support copy to eSATA hard drive at this moment.
NVS2525 has eSATA host port and you can connect eSATA hard drive to that port to make secondary copy very fast.
Actualy NVS2525 has Multi-copy funtionality, i.e., copy to both(internal/external) eSATA hard drive simultaneously.

Thanks.
Larry Seong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Seong View Post
Now back to the question.
1) Copying SDHC memory card using MxM reader using USB
SDHC card can be copied from SD slot on the ND2700.
ND2700 also supports USB card reader.
But not sure about the compatibility with your MxM memory card through USB.
We don't tested with the MxM adapter.
So it may work if it keep USB Mass Storage specification, but not sure.
Larry,
Thank you for the very informative post. I have the ND2700. I wonder, does the above statement mean the Sony USB SxS card reader (SBAC-US10) will work with the ND2700 assuming I power the card reader externally?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:57 AM   #9

"the Sony USB SxS card reader (SBAC-US10) will work with the ND2700 assuming I power the card reader externally?"

NO. ND2700 cannot support it because SxS card is 2048byte per sector and ND2700 only can support memory card with 512byte per sector.
We had ND2725 which can support this BIG sector(2048 byte per sector).
With ND2725, you can copy from XDCAM directly using USB OTG or USB SxS card reader.
But NO for ND2700.

Larry
Old July 1st, 2011, 10:46 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Larry, can you (or anyone else) help me with the following questions?

1) Which Nexto eXtreme model should I buy to copy 1080p60 video files from my Panasonic HDC TM900 camcorder in the field, where I won't have access to an external power supply? (I presume it will be an NVS series?)

2) I need the highest capacity possible because I will be in Africa for six weeks. What is Nexto's largest capacity?

3) Will Nexto units copy from SDXC cards as well as SDHC cards? If so, will they copy 64GB SDXC cards?

4) Can I purchase extra batteries for the unit? At what approximate cost?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by George Taylor; July 1st, 2011 at 10:47 PM. Reason: grammar correction
George Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 06:39 PM   #11
Contributor

Quote:
1) Which Nexto eXtreme model should I buy to copy 1080p60 video files from my Panasonic HDC TM900 camcorder in the field, where I won't have access to an external power supply? (I presume it will be an NVS series?)

2) I need the highest capacity possible because I will be in Africa for six weeks. What is Nexto's largest capacity?

3) Will Nexto units copy from SDXC cards as well as SDHC cards? If so, will they copy 64GB SDXC cards?

Not Larry but:
The answers to all your questions except cost are on their website
NextoDI
Yes the newer models support SDXC, you can get external batteries (I imagine you could even get generic ones), you can read any format but they don't yet support files over 4G using SDXC exFAT format (yet), bunch of material there. You can copy to a USB hard drive from th Nexto so space might not be an issue but I imagine you are limited to 500GB on the Nexto itself. Check it out and then use Google to look up pricing...

John
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Taylor View Post
Larry, can you (or anyone else) help me with the following questions?

Thanks for your help.
If you not using SxS or P2 and just using SDHC/SDXC or CF, then NVS1501 is the best one.
The copy speed of CF is upto 80MB and the copy speed of SDHC/SDXC is upto 60MB/s.
Also show your video on the small LCD(preview. Not play).
The speed is only depends on the memory card you are using.

With single charge, can copy about 400GB if you use faster SD card.(UHS-1) compliant fast SD card.
SDXC & exFAT also supported.

Ask your reseller on the external rechargeable battery pack.
With fully charged external battery pack, you can copy more 600GB.
The capacity of NVS1501 is 500GB.
But you can use any USB hard drive connected to NVS1501 through USB and can make duplicate to make secondary or third copy.

Copying full 64GB SDXC high speed card takes about 20minutes.

NVS1501 comes with car charger cable, so if you go with your car, you can charge your unit in the car.

There are low cost model, ND2730 comming soon.
This unit also can copy SDXC card but copy speed is slower, 14MB/s.
So 64GB takes more than 1 hour.
And show photo but does not show video.
CF copy speed is very fast for this low end device too.

Thanks.
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Larry, thank you for this definitive information. It has helped me sort out the options. I would buy the NVS1501 immediately if it were not for one thing - the price of almost $1,000. That's pretty steep for an amateur like me, but I do realize that the adage "You get what you pay for" is true, and the NVS1501 is worth every penny.

So I do appreciate you advising me about the lower cost alternative - the ND2730. It appears it might cost just over one-third that of the NVS1501, but I believe it is not yet available in the USA. Consequently, I've been looking at the ND2700 Extreme. So, I have two final questions:

1) Am I correct in assuming that the ND2700 will NOT copy SDXC cards? (Incidentally, the NextoDI (USA) website has a comparison chart for the NVS models, but not one for the ND models. There is a link for one, but it takes you to the NVS chart.)

2) Will the ND 2730 be available in the USA before I leave for Africa at the end of November 2011? If so, I'll definitely wait for it. (The slower copy rate is not a major issue for me.)

Thanks again for your help.
George Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #14
New Boot

Larry may wish to elaborate further upon your questions. (Larry Seong is the Founder & CEO of NextoDI.)

The quick answers to your questions: Your are correct that the ND2700 eXtreme does NOT copy SDXC cards. The new ND2730 (which does support the SDXC format) will be available for sale in the US within a few weeks--in plenty of time before your November departure for Africa!

The comparison chart will soon be updated with information about the ND2730.
Karen Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks much, Karen. I'll wait for the ND 2730! I think it will fit my needs perfectly.

I'm very impressed with Nexto's executives taking the time and interest in this forum. Dedication to customer service is indeed alive at some institutions.
George Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Nexto DI Mobile Storage Solutions