Nikon D90 has 720p24 over HDMI - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old August 27th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #16
Regular Crew

It's quite funny, because i'm about to purchase a new camcorder today, then i read about this :)

Check out this Vimeo video: Nikon D90 sample video on Vimeo

Pay attention to the 'auto exposure'. I'm wondering if this can be set to manual.

Anyway, it's an incredible start yet a shocking news for photo and video convergence. When the 1080p version is released, say goodbye to recent camcorders and adapters... *sobbing*
Ian Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #17
Major Player

Just saw the video, I don't think Red has to worry ... yet. I think it needs a better recording format. But, if the Scarlet is a hit I would be surprised if Nikon jumps on the band wagon.
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore McNeil View Post
I think it needs a better recording format.
Getting the video out from the HDMI to cineform can be a solution. That Cineform standalone recorder can be the perfect match for this camera.
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #19
Inner Circle

But it's still a shame that public chipsets still cannot injest or produce unencrypted HDMI 1080p.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
Step aside, SCarlett, step aside LETUS, BREVIS.. their offerings have just become obsolete...
I don't think Red has much to worry about yet, but I do think this is the beginning of the end for 35mm lens adapters considering the d90 body is in the same price range and will produce cleaner, sharper images with less fuss than an adapter. I don't see audio as much of an issue here - I'd personally choose shooting dual system sound over messing with a lens adapter.
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Don't get me wrong, the camera looks really good, but as for the video, it looks like it's lacking in the audio. I didn't see any XLR connection for mikes.

All the videos posted are downsized, it would be nice to be able to get a copy of the source file and see it full size. Maybe it's OK, but I don't know if it is or isn't. There could be compression noise...

Still, once it come out it should be interesting to see in action.

Bob Diaz
Bob Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I think it is fair to assume that pretty soon (if not already) the technology will be cheap enough to do 1080P on DSLRs in this price range, no? If so, wouldn't other companies stand to lose a great deal... say Sony, Panasonic, JVC? I'd almost venture to say that Nikon would do this but Canon wouldn't since it could cannibalize sales of their camcorders and HD cams.

Compression, lack of pro audio, and work-flow issues aside--I think this would have to squarely beat any other 720P camcorder in that it shoots with a 35mm sensor size and can use so many wonderfully cheap lenses and cost about a grand.
Jeff Krepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Donn View Post
I don't think Red has much to worry about yet, but I do think this is the beginning of the end for 35mm lens adapters considering the d90 body is in the same price range and will produce cleaner, sharper images with less fuss than an adapter. I don't see audio as much of an issue here - I'd personally choose shooting dual system sound over messing with a lens adapter.
But I'm thinking.. for someone who's used to shooting videos using the DX format or the FF format(hopefully in the near future).. how can they revert back to shooting 2/3" format with the Scarlett? granted, there are some inherient "advantages" with the larger DOF 2/3" format, but I suspect most of us want narrower DOF.. The audio issues will be worked out with future models, that is a simple thing to implement...
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Presumably the limiting factor is the cache memory giving very limited shot duration Steve
Who cares? Hook it up to a NanoFlash or a Cineform Solid and record to your heart's content.
Old August 27th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
Things are getting better all the time...

I would expect Canon to be able to make quite a "crossover" camera quite easily.

Full frame with 1080p over HDMI.

Would eliminate the need to 35mm adaptors.

Sound sync, preview and fluid aperature would be the weak areas imho.
Feed it into a XDR and you have preview, sound sync and archive :-)
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Nikon D90 movie mode for indie filmmakers

I don't know if anybody has seen the announcement of the Nikon d90 with the film mode. It is a 720p 24fps film mode in mjeg using the apsc format (35 mm film size) on a $ 1000 Nikon digital slr. It is not perfect in some ways but we are getting a 35mm capable (DOF, low light) digital slr image quality with the whole range of Nikon lenses at a fraction of the cost. Many have speculated before that the Digital photo cameras had all the technologies to produce excellent film cameras and I think it is just a start, at least for Nikon who on the contrary of Canon and Sony has no video or movie camera line to cannibalise. I guest this will be implemented in the next iteration of the Nikon professional range aka D4 - D400 with perhaps 1080p capabilities.

I come from the photography world and had always an interest in movie making. I have followed most of the development of the diy camera here and hope that some like the Sumix materialise. Hoping that someday we would get the same imaging possibilities in the movie world compared to what can be done with photography at way below prices. I think it is just a start but very exiting one.

You can check some clip here D90 | D-MOVIE
Jean Daniel Villiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #27
Major Player

remember nikons' s8

Nikon already knows how to make movie cameras . The nikon s8s were some of the best . This will probably be the beginning of a new category for nikon that will change the video industry as much or more than Red ever could - hopefully apologies accepted - and it will probably be designed more like their earlier super8s , as Nikon seems to archive all of those beautiful designs , as a starting point. Next we can probably expect this to migrate down the Nikon chain to the d60 , and be even cheaper, and up to the d4 and be alot more useful on a ff model with probably higher frame rates too !! very cool

www.kurthbousman.com
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Feed it into a XDR and you have preview, sound sync and archive :-)
Your right Ray. XDR seems like a must have.

I see this application (once faster framerates appear) as a great specialty tool in the kit.

Not an everyday camera, but something to pull out on a stationary green screen shoot or interview with shallow DOF.

The keys pulled from the near 4:4:4 color have a real use...

I love my 30D & 5D, but would dump them in a second if any other models also had a decent movie mode.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Standing View Post
Who cares? Hook it up to a NanoFlash or a Cineform Solid and record to your heart's content.
What Cineform Solid? This product is still in the planning stage.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #30
Major Player

You're right, of course. The Cineform Solid is, unfortunately, still very much vaporware at this stage. The Convergent Designs unit is real.

My point was just that, with HDMI recorders available or looming on the horizon, you needn't be hampered by Nikon's codec or short record times.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video