Nikon D90 has 720p24 over HDMI - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old August 27th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #31
Major Player

Looks to have a pretty bad rolling shutter problem to my eyes :(

I wonder what controls are available to you in D-Movie mode ?
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #32
Regular Crew

:SLDKGJ:SLDKJG:SDLKJGF:SDJG

No words.

I'm a photography guy and a movie guy. And then this comes out right after I order parts for a 35mm adapter. OMGOSH.With this I may be able to sort of combine both. I'm not a proffessional so this would be great. Use this for photography and short films and then my actual camcorder for less important stuff.

Can't wait until it comes out for real and we can see any major major drawbacks.
Jesse Haycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #33
Regular Crew

I think this is great. I attend car shows and it is hard to carry both my DSLR (Nikon D70) and camcorder (Sony HD1000 which is big or Canon HV20). I have a Sanyo HD1000 that does ok, but to small to get steady video and the focus is not the best. So if I am using any of those I just use the photo mode on the camcorder if that is what I am carrying and settle for a lesser quality picture.
But to have the D90 and be able to take high quality pictures and video will be great. Since there is not a lot of movement at shows the 24fps won't be a big deal and sound is not as important as I can mix in music. Also will be able to get very creative with DOF on the video which will be nice. Looking forward to seeing reviews once it comes out.
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #34
Major Player

This could be my move into digital SLR. Maybe a new POV camera.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #35
Major Player

I have only seen one 720p sample (the BMX one) and am presuming it is the original from the camera (OpenDML JPEG / AVI).

Aside from very obvious rolling shutter wobble - there appears to be odd exposure changes through the clip (auto exposure doing it's thing?) - you can lock exposure so that should be straightforward to overcome.

There is also very obvious 'stair stepping' (see the wheels of the BMX) and the overall clarity looks decidedly average - to the extent that it looks like it has been run through a median filter (!).

Of course you cannot tell much from a single sample that we don't know the provenance of, but the quality falls short of any of the current crop of prosumer HDV cameras (Sonys, Canons HV30 etc).

Depth of field looks great though and this would be a fantastic low light/indoors camera. The audio side can be dealt with by using a dedicated recorder.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #36
Major Player

You can't lock the exposure, you can only tell it what to keep exposure compensation at.

Nikon D90 Hands-on Preview: 10. Displays: Digital Photography Review
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #37
Major Player

This is just the tip of the iceberg of things to come. I sure am glad that I have all of those wonderful (expensive) Nikon lenses. Come on Nikon. Where is the 1080i version with XLR audio inputs? I think this is really exciting. BTW, I thought I read one post where someone mentioned that it is a full 35mm sensor. It is a Nikon "DX" image device which means it is more like 24mm. Not full frame 35mm.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #38
Major Player

I don't quite understand if Nikon has come this far, why it doesn't implement the video function with stereo audio recording and the option to lock the exposure or control the exposure manually either via shutter speed and/or aperture? An internal audio circuit could easily be built into the camera to allow better audio recording via the hot shoe, for instance.

The ability to autofocus in video mode will also be useful despite the shallow DoF of the DX format as focusing manually during recording would be troublesome due to the form factor of the camera body.

But improvements will definitely come because Nikon has no camcorder products to worry about.

Wacharapong
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Some big questions on my mind

With the D90, I only have some questions that is bothering me.

Can't the Sony's, Canon, Panasonic's not make a apc-c sensor based video cam at U$1,000 - U$1,500?

You have a U$999 body that basically does stills. What would it take to make one that does video? With video controls, proper sound, in-body stabilization, form factor, etc.? Can't the problem of how to cool sensor to allow it to shoot for extended period, maybe with the use of heat pipes to dissipate the heat?

I am not knowledgeable as to the issues on how to implement a video camera, but what the D90 done, is to show how an HDV footage be made on a body that is supposedly good only for photos! Sure there are so many issues needed to be addressed, (stereo sound, xlr inputs, image stabilization in-body, etc) but again, this is a DSLR! It wasn't made for video, but for stills! If this can be done with this camera, why can't this be done by those who are really making video cameras?

Or is there a deliberate effort not to go into this line by the video cam makers?
Mel Enriquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:32 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Enriquez View Post

Or is there a deliberate effort not to go into this line by the video cam makers?
I think there is probably an effort to protect their existing cameras from a $1,500 unit that offers so much!

As much as we want the convergence, still and video cameras are very different and I don't think it is quite as easy as it seems to be, but that is changing.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #41
Major Player

"You can't lock the exposure, you can only tell it what to keep exposure compensation at.

Nikon D90 Hands-on Preview: 10. Displays: Digital Photography Review"

I think this only applies to the digital lens, not older AI lens. It can't adjust the iris on the lens becuase it's not electronic like the rest.

And why would you want or need XRL inputs on this? This is why it's probably cheaper than most prosumer camera's out there. Just buy a mixer and sync sound. It's not hard and not that expensive.
Rich Hibner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #42
New Boot

This camera looks killer. I can imagine making a rig out of this with audio gathered by a Zoom H4 or something like it.

You could put an older Nikon lens on the front and have control over zoom, focus and iris just like we do now with adapters. Looks like my rig might be going into the trash. I needed to upgrade my SLR anyway. Now looks like the perfect time.

Still want to see some raw shots but I don't see how the adapter manufacturers can compete with an SLR that takes video.

If my calculations are correct it will be about

16mbps at MotionJPG 1280x720 24p

5 minutes of D90 footage is 600MB

So 600MB * 8 (to make it into bits from bytes) = 4800 mbp(5 minutes)

4800 / 5 minutes = 960 mbp(minute)

960 mbpm / 60 (seconds) = 16 mbps

Update:

Its at 13.56 mbps, my rough calculation was pretty close though!

Alright so I pushed that Vimeo BMX clip pretty hard in color correction and it held up well. I immediately converted it to ProRes422 then put it into Shake and pushed the heck out of it with a Saturation set to 5 and an Expand. No extra artifacting was noticeable other than was already seen in the original flat AVI.

You'll notice on the jeans of the first guy on the left some dancing artifacts and also some banding on the R of his skateboard.

Also it looks like some weird auto iris stuff is happening toward the end. Hopefully there is an option to do it manually or lock the iris. Maybe the old school lenses I'm currently using with my 35mm adapter will allow me to circumvent this unnecessary measure.

Here's crossing my fingers. Maybe we'll even get a hacked firmware out of this thing. This is starting to look pretty promising.

Last edited by Aaron Burns; August 28th, 2008 at 01:58 AM.
Aaron Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Regarding the rolling shutter that people have commented on... was that on shots with the wide angle lens? You might be seeing a fisheye effect as the subject moves between the center and the edge of the lens.
Old August 28th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #44
Major Player

that flicker was from photographers playing around with video mode now knowing how to use it. it's the automatic exposure with electronic lens. it's been official announcement over at dpreview that it has exposure lock so that flicker won't be there on your AI lens.
Rich Hibner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:07 AM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Enriquez View Post
I am not knowledgeable as to the issues on how to implement a video camera, but what the D90 done, is to show how an HDV footage be made on a body that is supposedly good only for photos!

It is not HDV.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video