D5100 or 550D - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Nikon Photo for HD Video
Dedicated for all Nikon D-SLR cameras plus compact mirrorless systems.

Old July 14th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #46
Major Player

Re: D5100 or 550D

Great Thanks.

It's also worth asking does the zoom in function allow you to more around the frame too. And does it stayed zoomed in while recording to help with focus pulls?

Thanks.
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #47
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post
Vincent i'm very curious about your stuff.....
Where can i see it?

Sorry for the late reply. We are currently working on a new DVD title "a guide to HDSLR video" This should be released mid August. A sampler will be cover mounted on What Digital Camera magazine, October issue, out in September.

I will be setting up a web page with a sampler chapter on my web site photo-i.co.uk
Old July 16th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #48
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Craig View Post
Great Thanks.

It's also worth asking does the zoom in function allow you to more around the frame too. And does it stayed zoomed in while recording to help with focus pulls?

Thanks.
No, once you start recording the zoom goes back to normal viewing.You can move the frame about by using the rear cursor keys. Press the centre OK button to instantly go back to full image view with the focus square back in the default location.
Old July 16th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #49
Major Player

OK well after watching this short:
I've ordered a D5100.

It's good to see properly structured narrative work, instead of the usual 'bloke film out of a window, drifting the shot around until you find something in focus' type stuff. The pictures looked very clean and it wasn't all about small DOF thanks goodness.

So the next thing will be to get my head around the locking down exposure situation.
I hope new firmware does come along to do this, it'll be easier to get repeatable results then.

Finger's crossed.

By the way I bought the UK spec D5100 from here: BNIB ? NIKON D5100 DSLR CAMERA & 18-55mm ZOOM LENS KIT | eBay very cheap and with the 18-55VR (which I'll put on my D90 when I sell it)
Old July 18th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #50
Trustee

Great video, Duncan. Thanks for sharing.
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:21 AM   #51
Trustee

Interesting filming, not so sure it's a great story though.

I have noticed a lot of mediocre films appearing on the web. Are people being seduced by the fact that this was shot on a HDSLR and forgetting about the story.

I guess everything is still in it's infancy
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:08 AM   #52
Trustee

Quote:
Are people being seduced by the fact that this was shot on a HDSLR and forgetting about the story.
I guess that's true. Nobody will be interested in footage from an XL-1 or a DVX100 anymore, would they?
Old July 19th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #53
Trustee

"I guess that's true. Nobody will be interested in footage from an XL-1 or a DVX100 anymore, would they?"

Why not, if the story or visuals are good then who cares what it's been shot on.

The scenario is a bit like hearing a five year old virtuoso playing a Beethoven concerto, we are fascinated by the ability of the child, but the quality of performance and interpretation may be lacking in many ways.

The same holds true for HDSLR videos.

Wow, this was created with a Canon XXXD or Nikon DXXXX, the image quality is great, never mind the content, think of the camera it was shot on. Are we now in danger of this line of thought?

Whilst the Fragments video clip holds a small amount of interest, it's hardly a great video.
Old July 19th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #54
Trustee

The context in which I mentioned it is in terms of those who are interested in HDSLR videography. Otherwise, content is everything.
Old October 6th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #55
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bruner View Post
Laurence -- I use the $25 Hoodman HD300 on my GH2's flip out LCD (which is 3" -- the same size as the D5100 screen). Very helpful in sunlight.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
I bought that one and while it did a nice job of showing the video, the numbers at the top and bottom of the screen are not visable.

I just ordered this one which should be a better fit (and let me see the info at the bottom of the LCD screen)

http://=http://www.amazon.com/3-Camc...7913295&sr=1-4
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > Nikon Photo for HD Video