Frame mode flickers? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 25th, 2003, 06:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Frame mode flickers?

Hi all,
I recorded my footages on XL1s frame mode, everything's fine in avid xpress but when I output the footage onto the camera and play it on TV, it flickers.

I tried some footages recorded on interlaced mode and it was fine.

What could be wrong?
Hope that something could be done as I've just finished a short film on frame mode.
Michael Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 03:13 PM   #2
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

never heard of that before?
BUT if you shot FRAME mode ( progressive like) when you render as interlace it is still FRAME mode .. the 2 fields have not changed.
.. now rolling titles , if you pan a frame , their motion will be interlace ... and other motion that you created in editing will be interlace ( transitions) ... which usually results in smoother motion for titles etc.

i don't use avid but perhaps in their PROGRESSIVE settings there is a custom/preference that is telling it how to deinterlace the clip for progressive or perhaps the field order is not correct?? if there is BOTH should set it to NONE for progressive ( frame mode).
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 06:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

But I'm outputting the footage straight to my dv camera via firewire. The settings for progressive/interlace option is only available when I export it as a video file, its not there when I output it straight to dv camera.

I never hear of this problem either, maybe my eyes was playing tricks on me. Just want to check with others if this is a known problem, if not then i suspect that I have to go for an eye check.
Old June 28th, 2003, 02:30 PM   #4
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

so you are saying it is there when you preview to external monitor ? that you are seeing flicker ?
is this jerky movement type flicker ? of flickering screen ?
any chance of posting a clip ? .... if jerky motion .. try frame mode with camera shutter speed at 1/60 sec ........

check your project settings to make sure the field order is either progressive or lower field 1st ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2003, 11:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Don,
I have outputted some of the footages on dv tape.
When I play it on a tv screen, it looks kinda flickering.
Its not a jerky movement.
Its more of a flickering screen , more noticeable on the top black bar. (I've mask it to 16:9) Its not really that serious, but its noticeable. I thought that it could be a problem with my tv screen, but when i see another footage shot on the interlace mode and it plays very smoothly, thats when I notice the problem.

However, it looks fine on a computer screen, so I cant post the flickering clip on computer as it does not inherit the problem.

Regarding the project settings, I don't think it has such option. It only allows me to set it as PAL or NTSC.
The only option for setting the interlace/progressive is when I am exporing it in avi files.

So , to simplify, the flickers is most noticeable at the top of the screen, the intersection of the black bar and the picture.
The rest of the picture seems fine , or not so noticeable.

Am i encountering some sort of x-files case here?

btw, Don, thanks for helping.
Old June 28th, 2003, 11:30 PM   #6
Major Player

Havn't got something screwed up like PAL or NTSC project set wrong ? Or even frame rate problems, that will strobe and flicker as well.

You know if it is not that, i think it is a field order problem, i saw something similar to yours when top field first was selected instead of bottom field first... the reverse order did almost exactly what you are describing.

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2003, 11:35 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I am pretty sure I didn't screw up the NTSC/PAL settings.

I set it to PAL, which is what I shot on.
Hmm, regarding the field option, but i do not get the option when I export it to tape.

only when i export them to avi files.
and the project settings only allow me to choose either PAL or NTSC. Weird.
Old June 28th, 2003, 11:40 PM   #8
Major Player

Field order will be a selection in the project settings, it must be floating around the advanced section maybe.

It is possible that your tv can not handle the severe contrast changes between the black edge, and the colour corrected footage, have you run, reduce interlace flicker and broadcast safe filters?

Zac

PS. since you are in malaysia, have you even dealt with biz-max, any opinions?
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2003, 04:39 AM   #9
Regular Crew

As of yet, I still could not find the field order in the project settings.

Btw, from what I understand is, the transfer to tape option theoretically does not alter the original image right?

Bout reduce interlace, I thought I shot in frame and its not suppose to have flickers.
Someone gotta enlighten me on this.

Biz-max, i am not too sure, whats that? is it a tv selling program? It sounds familiar.
Michael Chen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC