Computer monitor blues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old June 26th, 2003, 10:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Computer monitor blues

I've purchased two different 19" monitors from Dell. All I've read about these monitors previously has been nothing but praise. The first one was the NEC FP912SB, I sent that back after 2 days. The focus was out of whack, incredible amounts of distortion and I couldn't even load a profile for it. So I figured I would try out choice #2, the Viewsonic P95f+B. Again, read great things about it. Colors are good, profile loaded, text wasn't an issue. But it's lack of sharpness is. When you have a 1 pixel stroke in Photoshop in the middle of the screen and it looks like a 2-3 pixel stroke, that isn't a good sign. So this one is going back. I've read a few others that have had problems with monitors from Dell. I'm beginning to think they might be taking refurbs or defects and trying to pass them off as new. I know my eyes are not messed up and I would like to think I know quality when I see it, these aren't it.

So, what are you guys using for monitors? I'm looking at 19" preferably and maybe 21". I'd really like to try out a Lacie, but I can't seem to find anywhere in the US that sells them? But I'm reconsidereing that now too because I believe Lacie uses NEC/Mitsubishi's tube.

Or maybe I just have too high of standards for a monitor, being babied by my Viewsonic PF775, that has an incredible image. But they are pricy still. Thanks for any advice or recommendations.

matt
Matt Betea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 10:59 PM   #2
Wrangler

I've got a ViewSonic 17GA and a ViewSonic GA771 sitting side by side--they're virtually identical 17 inchers that have kept their color and sharpness throughout the years. Couldn't be happier with them. If I wanted to go to 19", I'd want to stick with ViewSonic.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 12:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm using the 19" Ultrascan P 990 Trinitron that came with my 1998 Dell Dimension XPS R450, and a 21" P1130 Trinitron that came with my Dell 8200 in 2002.

They are both excellent monitors.

I am so satisfied with the "Trinitron" tag that I don't buy a computer monitor or television unless it says Trinitron.

Just a humble opinion...
Eric Lian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2003, 06:20 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi guys,

I had a different approach to videoediting and monitors - I've choosen a TFT 19" Samsung 191T. I know that the colors aren't "right" compared to a TV. But on the other hand, a CRT monitor isn't a TV either, so now at least I have a dead-on-sharp picture where I can see ALL details. For color preview I use my 32" Philips Widescreen TV.

Only my 2 cents..

// Lazze

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC