Help on specs for a new Dell Workstation. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 16th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Moody View Post
It is good to hear that some people have been happy with Dell. I had given up on them after the quality of the components seemed to go down and a few frustrating calls to overseas tech support.

Now you can pay Dell extra to get tech support from someone in the US.

Dear Dell: Customer service should be free | The Digital Home - CNET News

I may take another look at them. Do you have to know someone on the inside to find your component specs? On the web site it just says 4X Blu-ray, but does not specify what brand.
Business Dell vs personal Dell are two completely different animals/products.

Business Dell computers are designed for heavy heavy workloads, that take beating after beating.

Personal Dell computers are designed for average joes/soccer moms/college kids

Components within one another are completely different.

My office is an investment bank in NYC and we all use DELL PCs.
and no one turns off their PCs.
So do many other corporations in the city.
They all mainly use dell.
why? price and reliability
Samuel Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #17
Major Player

I personally have bought a number of Dell systems, including 2 Laptops, (XPS and Precision) and a dual Xeon workstation. They have been fine, but they are top tier systems. Most of the home user stuff they sell is pretty low quality. I setup hundreds of Dells for my University over last few years, and those business systems had a ressonable reliability record.
For most professional video editing work though, the HP XW workstations are clearly the best option. They are certified hardware configurations for running Avid, ProTools, Matrox, AJA, BMD and just about every other high end application. This gives you a lot of flexibility in what you can run on your system. I use a Dell laptop at work, but about 15 HP workstations. The commonality between the different generations allows you to migrate most periperals and such to newer systems as you upgrade.
And I am a big advocate of buying refurbished if you want maximum bang for your buck.
Just my two cents on that topic.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC