Permiere Pro CS3 Issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 11th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Permiere Pro CS3 Issue

I use premiere pro cs3, I love it, but I've got this problem. I was editing about 30min of video to 3min, and when I got to a certain number of clips and effects, the program crashed. The only way I got around it was either to get rid of clips/effects, or to export what I had and reimport into a new clean project, and continue work.

I also had this problem before with another project when I used 2hrs of video and was editing it to 6min. I had to divide the project into 2min segments and export, then reimport into a new project, and even then I was on the boarder with the program crashing.

I have a Dell e510
Pentium D 2.8GHz
2GB of RAM
Radeon X600

I tried increasing my virtual memory size, it didn't seem to help.
Does anyone have any insight on this?
Ed Mohar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I did have some problems with premiere cs3 as well, especially when I made titles it crashed constantly. I did have the latest patch installed and the pc was a brandnew quadcore with win xp pro. Only after going back to the first patch adobe made (3.0.1) all worked well. Untill now (knock on wood) Premiere has been very stable.
I would try re-installing Premiere again and start with update 3.0.1 and then test it, if it works install a newer patch each time and test again. In that way you might find out if it's a patch problem that doesn't like your hardware/driver combination or whatever.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Did you render the effects of were you working on the unrendered files? From my experience, Premiere has a nasty habit of crashing if you do a lot of fast scrubbing on the unrendered clips with a lot of effects on them.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:25 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Walczak View Post
Did you render the effects of were you working on the unrendered files? From my experience, Premiere has a nasty habit of crashing if you do a lot of fast scrubbing on the unrendered clips with a lot of effects on them.
Premiere crashed as soon as I placed a new title on the timeline and when I wanted to move it or make it shorter or longer. As soon as I touched the title premiere would just "disappear" and next thing i was looking at was my desktop. No warning, no error message, nothing, It just closed instantly. The titles were not rendered so maybe there was a problem, not sure about that but even then, this should not happen. With the older patch I work with un-rendered clips as well and that works without a problem.

Usually I don't apply much effects on my clips, just some minor color correction but also keyframing has not caused any problems.

With Encore Cs3 f.i. I have to be more careful because it's kind of buggy, sometimes it can get quite slow and it's not the first time it hangs. I save many times when I'm working with it. Most of the time it works OK but last week when I wanted to burn a dvd I decided to stop the rendering progress in the beginning because I needed to make a change first. Encore just frooze and I had to ctrl-alt-del to kill the process.

After I restarted everything was still there but it said all my avi files were not rendered, I looked in the dvd folder were the previous renders were made and all files were there, including the mpeg files but Encore didn't find them apparently so I had to re-render the whole project.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #5
Tourist

Have you thought it might be an issue with your RAM?

I had a similar issue where everything would work until I tried to install something. I would keep getting problems when it got to a certain point in the install - seemed that it worked fine until filled up the RAM and used the specific part in memory then it bailed.

Worth a check look on google for a memory checker - it was a while ago but I think I might've used memtest86 before; worth giving it a go.

Cheers
Luke
Luke Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Not sure about that but could be, I have a dell xps 420 and purchased separate hyperx memory modules from Kingston, 4 gig in total.
I do occasionally get weird error messages in the small mini display on top of the pc, it says things like "no memory installed" or "one of the memory modules failed" and the pc works fine at that moment. I have been running a memory checker before and it came out with no errors but it was a quick check. Think I will will run a more thorough check now.
Will try memtest86, thanks for the tip!
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC