New Motherboard Recommendations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:54 PM   #1
Major Player

New Motherboard Recommendations

Hi!

The power supply to my editing comp just failed and, now that I have the new one installed, it looks like it might have taken the motherboard with it. So just in case that is true, does anyone have suggestions for a motherboard to replace the Tyan i5000xt? I could replace it with the same one, but I thought it would be nice, while I'm spending the money, to upgrade to one that would allow me to upgrade to two quad-core processors eventually (the i5000xt does two dual-core). It would be really nice if the replacement mobo could use the same ram and processor that my current board does. The ram is 240-pin DDR2 FBDIMM 667 and the processor is a dual-core Xeon (Intel Xeon 5130, to be exact).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

~Dale
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

If the motherboard is fried, you may want to upgrade to an Intel 5400 series board. Any board with this chipset will allow you to upgrade to the new quad-core 45nm Xeon chips. Correct me if I'm wrong but the older chipsets will not support these newer chips.

As far as which board specifically you'll need I don't know. Tyan makes good boards, and I've had good luck with Asus boards. I can't speak for the rest.
Devin Termini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:22 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I just built a new workstation around the Supermicro 7045, which has the X7DWA-N motherboard. It appears to be the same size as yours. With two Quad-core Xeons, it runs like a fighter jet, and with eight cooling fans it sounds like one too.

Although Premiere runs faster, it's not any more stable than it used to be on my old PC.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys! I'll check that one out, Adam.
Old June 5th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #5
New Boot

CPUS for editing AVCHD

I am thinking of building a PC mainly for editing high def video, probably from a Sony SR11 and so I would of course want to include a CPU that handles AVCHD with some ease. Intel Quad core 6600 has been mentioned to me. But my question is, will editing programs such as Pinnacle, Sony etc etc automatically recognise a quad core CPU and are they designed to fully take advantage of what a quad core CPU can do?? Is a Quad core CPU necessary for best editing performance? Is the Q6600 a good quad core for this purpose or will a fast dual core do just as well? Many thanks
Fred Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #6
Major Player

Hey, guys, just to let you know - I didn't need to replace my motherboard after all. Thanks for the help, but thankfully, it wasn't needed!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC