Anyone using an LCD monitor for editing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 21st, 2003, 11:11 AM   #1
Wrangler

Anyone using an LCD monitor for editing?

We're relocating to San Francisco, and we'll be living in an extended stay apartment for a few months until we can buy a house. Space is tight, and I was thinking of getting a 17" or 19" LCD monitor to use for editing (and for digital photography applications). I use a small video monitor for real-time previews, so on-screen video quality for the LCD isn't critical, but I also don't want to get migraines.

Is anyone using one of these? Any recommendations as to which to buy?

Thanks.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2003, 11:52 AM   #2
Wrangler

Most definitly-
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=13599
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2003, 12:08 PM   #3

either viewsonic or MAc cinemadisplay works quite well. I calibrate mine with Eye-One Display software to be sure it's right.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2003, 12:44 PM   #4
Wrangler

Yeah can anyone recomend a good color calibration hardware/software bundle?
Old August 24th, 2003, 12:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I use samsung 240t (24inches)and love it but it cost $2400. It is better then the mac monitor because it has better contrast and more connections and bit bigger. My setting when editing in Premiere is 1920 by 1200.
BJ Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 04:23 PM   #6
Major Player

Does anyone know how the Dell LCDs compare with ViewSonic? and how either of those compare to the NEC MultiSync LCDs?

I'm interested in comparions both for video editing and light to moderate gaming purposes.
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2003, 09:27 PM   #7
Wrangler

I use the Samsung LCD HDTV as a second monitor and for looking at the video.

Compared to my 14" JVC NTSC monitor, it isn't very good for judging the video. Still it isn't a bad editing tool. With its PIP capabilty at full-res for the video, it is pretty nice.
Old August 24th, 2003, 09:27 PM   #8
Wrangler

My resolution while working in Vegas is 2560X1024. Very nice to have the timeline spanned 2,560 pixels wide. The two 17" monitors cost me $500 a pop and have a 400:1 contrast ratio, 16ms pixel response, .264mm pixel pitch, and 225 cd/m2 of luminance.
240t has it beat with a 500:1 contrast, and 270 cd/m2 of luminance. Though the pixel pitch is a bit lower at .270mm and they don't list the pixel response time which worries me. Then again if your not a gamer it doesn't matter as much. Overall great monitor!

Either way it's nice to be able to work with extra horizontal real-estate when working with NLEs...epsecially to help view the spanning timeline.

Stephen, the Dell only retails two LCDs that I know of but sells many others with brand-names like NEC/Mitsubishi, Planar, and Viewsonic.
The two by dell are the E151FP 15" ($329) and the Dell UltraSharp 1900FP 19" ($749).. The 15 only has a 350:1 contrast ratio and a terribly slow 40ms pixel repsonse that might even hinder on-screen monitoring while editing video. The 19" has a nice 500:1 contrast ratio but only has a 200 cd/m2 rating in brightness. Plust it's only got a 25ms pixel repsonse time which is mediocre, especially for a $750 monitor.
Dell does sell the excellent NEC 1760 for $499, which isn't the easiest to purchase at retail stores now that Circuit City stopped carrying them. It sports a 450:1 contrast ratio, 260 cd/m2 luminance, and 16ms pixel response. Very impressive - if your interested check out New Egg.com, that monitor can be purchased for litterally $100 less than msrp. Hope this helped.
Old August 25th, 2003, 10:51 AM   #9
Wrangler

For what its worth, I wound up buying a Sony 17". It was between the Sony and Viewsonic -- their performance was so close, it was more of a coin flip, really. I decided against the 19" monitors -- too expensive and, for where I need to work, too big, particularly considering that the native resolution was the same for both -- 1280 x 1024. The Sony has a very nice 20ms pixel response time, which is more than adequate for video without ghosting. I'm going to need to adjust the gamma a bit, as well as the color saturation, but it seems to be a nice match for the video work that I'm doing.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 09:32 AM   #10
RED Code Chef

I do my editing on my DELL Laptop with has an (in my opinion
very nice) LCD screen. For color crucial work (last step in the video
process) I usually hook up or check every now and then on a
TV to make sure it is "okay"

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2003, 10:29 AM   #11
Wrangler

Yeah the best looking LCD I've ever seen is on my laptop. I'm using a Sony Vaio GRX series. It's got a 16" UXGA LCD with a native resolution of 1600x1200. Talk about crisp!
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC