Can Photoshop help with colour correction? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 25th, 2003, 05:33 AM   #1
Major Player

Can Photoshop help with colour correction?

I've shot with two cameras in a bright daylight setting on a river cruise boat (under a glass/plexi canopy). Tape from the backup camera (Sony D8) is darker than from the VX2000 and colour in the late cruise is more saturated than the noon cruise. Are there tools in Photoshop that can tell me, by looking at frame exports, how to use Premiere to smooth out some of the differences? I'm ok with light levels but colour work is outside my real experience.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 06:57 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

I guess it could IF you want to manually adjust every frame. Why not use the color correction tools in your NLE?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 07:16 AM   #3
Major Player

Sorry if I wasn't clear, Edward. I asked how to use Photoshop to analyse differences in frame captures and act on the info in Premiere. Not how to correct frame by frame. I'm a little old for that kind of time investment.

David Hurdon
Old August 25th, 2003, 07:35 AM   #4
Warden

The problem will PS is that it will use colors outside the range (gamma) of NTSC video. In the filters there is an NTSC color safe filter, but it's not the best conversion. You're better off using the software waveform monitor/vectorscope in your NLE.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 07:51 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks, Jeff. I do have those tools in the Canopus DV Tools set but like Premiere 6 there is no way I know to keep a reference clip/frame on the screen while "correcting". If I have to rely on my memory to correct I'm in trouble. I've seen demos of FCP in which a "correct" frame is next to the "to be corrected" frame for visual reference of progress. How can you accomplish that in Premiere and if you can't, how the heck do you correct other than by trial and error?

David Hurdon
Old August 25th, 2003, 08:37 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks, Jeff. I do have those tools in the Canopus DV Tools set but like Premiere 6 there is no way I know to keep a reference clip/frame on the screen while "correcting". If I have to rely on my memory to correct I'm in trouble. I've seen demos of FCP in which a "correct" frame is next to the "to be corrected" frame for visual reference of progress. How can you accomplish that in Premiere and if you can't, how the heck do you correct other than by trial and error?

David Hurdon
Old August 25th, 2003, 09:46 AM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

I believe that was added in Premiere Pro as well???? I know Vegas 4 can do this too.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 09:46 AM   #8
Warden

I'm a Mac guy, so I can't be much help here, except to say that PS is not the best tool for the job. Maybe rephrase the question so the Premiere users can post on your questions.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 11:38 AM   #9
Wrangler

If you have one of the real time Canopus cards, then you could import the footage into the Canopus editing software, fix the problems in there and then export the footage back to Premiere.

The latest color correction tools in the RT software are fairly good. Not as good as Edius but OK.

Try the gamma curve control to get the brightness levels similar. If you correct the color saturation (an easy task in the Canopus software) it will no longer look like afternoon but the shadows may look all wrong.

There is a good book on color correction that you can get. I find it to be of great help. Color Correction for Digital Video" by Steve Hullfish and Jaime Fowler is the name. I'd like to thank Ken Tanaka for mentioning the book.
Old August 25th, 2003, 11:59 AM   #10
Major Player

Thank you Mike. I'll get the book.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC