Questions about requirements for burning onto DVD-R at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 25th, 2003, 08:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Questions about requirements for burning onto DVD-R

I was thinking about finally getting a MiniDV camera and I was just wondering what all my computer need to be able to successfully install editing software, run it, and burn the finished product onto dvd-r? Also, what editing programs do you prefer? And, finally, do I actually need to have a dvd-rw drive to transfer the finished product onto a dvd-r or can the software, somehow, use my cd-rw drive to burn the dvd-r's. Thanks for any help you can give.
Darrell Hinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2003, 09:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm using an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ with 1 GByte of DDR, 40 GByte main drive, 180 GByte secondary drive, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW drive with a Pinnacle Systems Firewire card. It takes about 4-5 hours to convert 30-40 minutes of DV25 AVI files to DVD-compatible MPEG2 and burn to DVD-RW. I generally use Pinnacle Studio8 due to its simple storyboard editing and integrated burning. Edit in 2-8 hours, plop in the DVD-RW, and wake up to a disk to test. For more power, I use Vegas Video /SoundForge Audio. Surely, you can do better. I'll be upgrading someday ...
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2003, 10:15 AM   #3
Major Player

"I was thinking about finally getting a MiniDV camera and I was just wondering what all my computer need to be able to successfully install editing software, run it, and burn the finished product onto dvd-r?"
--> If your computer does'nt allready have, you need to install a FireWire card to connect the camera to the computer.

"Also, what editing programs do you prefer?"
--> Since your are begining, Pinnacle Studio 8.

"And, finally, do I actually need to have a dvd-rw drive to transfer the finished product onto a dvd-r or can the software, somehow, use my cd-rw drive to burn the dvd-r's.
--> You need a DVD recorder. CD recorders cannot record DVD.

Best regards,
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC