Avid Xpress 3.5 vs. Canopus DVStorm2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 4th, 2003, 07:50 AM   #16
Major Player

The new series Matrox RT-X100 and even the smaller RT-X10 Xtreme are similar to the Canopus RT systems.

Matrox were a bit late but they are up now with the scalable technology (hence you upgrade the PC to get more video streams and effects in real time)

What I've heard is that Matrox is a bit more picky for the hosting computer than the Canopus which usually work on the fly with wilde range of systems.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2003, 07:56 AM   #17
Major Player

David,

You can still use Premier with a Canopus card. It gives it wings (or so I hear).
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2003, 08:16 AM   #18
Regular Crew

The Matrox cards have limited scalability. They have hardware limitations that the Storm does not have.
Old September 4th, 2003, 12:40 PM   #19
Wrangler

I selected Canopus on the basis of hardware reliability after fighting with FAST, Matrox and Pinnacle Systems products. The only other contender was one of the appliance editing systems but the lack of PC connectivity killed it for me.

I had been using Ulead's Studio Pro for editing. When I purchased the Canopus product, it also came with Ulead as well as RexEdit. Note that I do not have the Storm, I have its predecessor.

Once I tried RexEdit, Ulead became a very distant second choice.

Most video is comprised of cuts and dissolves. Very little else. So I went for speed in handling large numbers of clips, quality of the results, and simplicity of use, and a fast and good titler. Not in any particular order.

I have very little use for tons of 3D transitions. All I need is good clip handling, and (now) RT color correction, audio and video filters, etc. Also, their slow motion is second to none—something that is useful in Wedding Videos. What I needed (and have) is an industrial-strength editor with no mysterious crashes.

When I need more than RexEdit (or now Edius) it is because I need serious compositing or Rotoscoping.

All the complaints over the years about Premiere crashing and doing strange things kept me from trying it although I do now own a copy. Just too lazy to learn it.
Old September 4th, 2003, 12:55 PM   #20
Major Player

Mike,
Please descride your system (processor, ram, video card, etc.)

"What I needed (and have) is an industrial-strength editor with no mysterious crashes."

We're all looking for this!!
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2003, 03:31 PM   #21
Wrangler

I have two systems that are constructed with Canopus-approved bits.

Oldest system is SuperMicro P6DGE motherboard with twin PIII 850's and 1 gig of memory. Canopus xPlode display card. 900 gigs of EIDE and SCSI disk space.

Newest system is Asus P4T-E with P4 1.5 gig, 512 memory, Matrox G450 display card. 400 gigs of EIDE disk memory.

As soon as I get done with the current batch of editing projects, I'll replace the older system with an ASUS P4C800-E DELUXE motherboard, P4 2.4 gig Hyperthreading processor, 1 gig of registered RAM, and another dual-monitor display card that has not yet been selected. I don't want to pay $600 for a gamer card, but I want one that will accelerate After Effects rendering which is my big bottleneck now.

Can you tell that I don't ever use leading edge products? Those are the ones that launch arrows at their owners.

Note that these are components that are known good for Canopus products. Not necessarily for editing products from other companies.

Also note that other applications do crash on these computers. But the Canopus products don't. The worst behaviour I can get is on the older computer when I have RexEditRT, After Effects, Photoshop and Sound Forge all loaded at the same time. Once in a while the overlay disply will get funny and I will have to shut all the software down and restart it. I suspect the Adobe products to be the culprits in that instance.

One other thing, I test every piece of software I put on the older, main, editing system, on the P4 system first. And the older system is never connected to the Internet.

BTW, I spent 3 months trolling through all the system distributors in Silicon Valley before I selected the Canopus products. I saw Avids and Media 100, Pinnacle and larger FAST systems all crash several times during the demos. Only the Canopus and the appliance editing system did not crash.

At the time, the Canopus DVRex was also $5K less expensive than the 'industrial' editing products from the other companies.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC