Way to batch convert from DV-AVI to MOV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 29th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #1
New Boot

Way to batch convert from DV-AVI to MOV?

While processing my footage for my own purposes, I am also submitting universally useful clips to a stock footage consignment house. The clips are already sliced into short files on my hard disk with logical filenames, so it would be nice to send them off as files rather than putting them back on tapes and having to write clip logs. The company would also thank me for saving them the work of capturing them and figuring out what each one is. (Unfortunately I think they only thank me, not raise my commission...)

But while my files are AVI with Microsoft-DV codec (I think that's right - it's whatever Premiere Pro produces), the stock footage company uses all Macs and wants the clips as Quicktime (and would be really happy if I could even provide both NTSC and PAL versions). I have hundreds of files - pulling them into my PPro CS3 one by one and exporting them to MOV (typing or copy/pasting each filename, because the default name of an export is that of the timeline, not a single asset sitting on it) would be a huge job. Is there a good tool out there that can do such a conversion in batch on selected files, or all the files in a folder, or something?
Karen Ellrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 01:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Karen

This program is probably what you are looking for, itīs called MPEG Streamclip and itīs free.
Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

It can batch convert to Quicktime

Cheers

Hans
Old December 30th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #3
Major Player

If that doesn't work, you can batch convert in After Effects, or now the new Adobe Media Encoder. We convert DV AVI to DV MOV and vice versa, all the time this way.
Old December 31st, 2008, 07:53 AM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Ellrick View Post
While processing my footage for my own purposes, I am also submitting universally useful clips to a stock footage consignment house. The clips are already sliced into short files on my hard disk with logical filenames, so it would be nice to send them off as files rather than putting them back on tapes and having to write clip logs. The company would also thank me for saving them the work of capturing them and figuring out what each one is. (Unfortunately I think they only thank me, not raise my commission...)

But while my files are AVI with Microsoft-DV codec (I think that's right - it's whatever Premiere Pro produces), the stock footage company uses all Macs and wants the clips as Quicktime (and would be really happy if I could even provide both NTSC and PAL versions). I have hundreds of files - pulling them into my PPro CS3 one by one and exporting them to MOV (typing or copy/pasting each filename, because the default name of an export is that of the timeline, not a single asset sitting on it) would be a huge job. Is there a good tool out there that can do such a conversion in batch on selected files, or all the files in a folder, or something?
I think what you need is CANOPUS PROCODER, which can convert all types of media with many codecs and has many options for you to manage your files (Unfortunately, the price is not very reasonable)
Vinh Nguyen Quang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 12:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Procoder is definitely not necessary for that type of DV work. After Effects or Media Encoder CS4 will both automatically pass the filename thru to the new MOV file. We use AE to convert 44.1Khz WAV files to 48Khz with thousands of files, so it works fine for that type of project.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC