DV500 Options: Avid Express? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old July 31st, 2004, 03:32 PM   #1
Tourist

DV500 Options: Avid Express?

I have seen Avid Express in use and was impressed. But my understanding is it does not support my Pinnacle DV500 capture card. Or maybe it's the other way around?

Does anyone know if Adobe Premiere is the only option that is compatible with my Pinnacle DV500?
Old July 31st, 2004, 04:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Avid or Adobe Premiere? Your message is kind of confusing.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2004, 11:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Pinnacle's drivers support only Adobe Premiere up tp version 6.5. Premiere Pro is not supported.

The current version of the drivers, version 4.5, with the 4.5a patch, will be the last driver produced. Pinnacle have now abandoned the DV500 card.

I have never heard of any third party drivers for the DV500.

Two earlier versions of Pinnacle Edition (now Liquid Edition) were also supported. I think they were versions 4.5 and 5.0/5.1 (Pinnacle described 5.1 as a patch, but the file was as large as the complete driver).
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2004, 07:04 AM   #4
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

The DV500 hardware isn't really useful anymore. NLE software is now more powerful and real-time w/ CPU speed alone. And Premiere 6.x is now a relic.

Best advice here is to upgrade your PC, 86 teh DV500 and move on to either Premiere Pro, Liquid Edition, Vegas 5 or Xpress DV.

Just get any of these new NLEs, adda firewire card and if you need analog a canopus ADVC100

Gary
Videoguys.ocm
Old August 1st, 2004, 07:36 AM   #5
Tourist

Thanks!

Now I get it! That explains why my Dell laptop from work does such a good job w/o any capture card.

Thanks for the responses.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

DV500 still OK

[QUOTE=Gary Bettan;207311]The DV500 hardware isn't really useful anymore.

Well I still use my DV500 as a firewire card and its very useful!
Martin Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:57 PM   #7
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Martin - still using your old reliable DV500 - I'm Impressed! What NLE and version are you still running?

We have a few DV500 cards still lying around in the warehouse. Every once in a while I get a call or email from someone searching for one. Usually it's integrated into some kind of specialty application.

Gary

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC