Magic Bullet help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 17th, 2003, 08:49 PM   #1
New Boot

Magic Bullet help

Hey guys,

I just started using MB a few days ago, and I followed the manual in converting to 24p. The footage looks great on the AFx comp window but when i render it out, the footage shows horizontal lines. THe clip I'm using has motion, with the person walking back and forth.

I follow the instructions through the manual and I render with lower fields first, 3:2 pulldown, and the WWSSW. THen I just render with Microsoft DV.

I also checked the original captured footage through Windows Media Player, and it also displayed the same conditions. I don't recall this happening before though. I'm really lost at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Walter Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2003, 04:58 AM   #2
RED Problem Solver

The rendered version should show horizontal interlace lines. This is because of the 3:2 pulldown you're applying. the WWSSW is for Whole and Split. You should see two whole frames (no interlace lines) two split frames (with interlace effects) and another whole frame in sequence.

Play it back on your TV and it will look fine though. This is all perfectly correct and normal. It's all part of changing 24fps to 60i NTSC video.
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2003, 03:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Did you try that out?

Do you have any idea how to render it so that the interlaced lines don't show up when played back on a computer monitor (for streaming internet video)?

While, of course getting the benefit of 24fps looking/converted footage?

Thanks
Eric MacIver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2003, 03:26 PM   #4
RED Problem Solver

Magic Bullet just creates a 24p composition from 60i video. After Effects does the 3:2 pulldown. If you tell it to output the 24p video as 24 fps, you'll get no interlacing.
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2003, 07:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Audio

The only issue with that, is that the audio either doesn't match up (if you import it afterwords) or is at a higher pitch because it is sped up to match the 24 FPS. So, to get it to sound better, you need to go back to 29.97, how the source was taken.

What do you think the best way to do that would be?

Thanks for your help.
Eric MacIver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2003, 07:31 PM   #6
Regular Crew

OOPS

Sorry - I was wrong on that last post. Obviously if I just output it at 23.976 FPS with Field Rendering OFF, it plays fine on my computer.

Will be testing the NTSC output soon.

Thanks for the info.
Eric MacIver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC