Capture to a laptop through firewire? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 22nd, 2003, 10:28 AM   #1
New Boot

Capture to a laptop through firewire?

Is it possible to capture our church service (just the message around 30 min.) through firewire using the GL2. I know that I can record with the camera and import using Premiere 6.5. This is not a problem. I am trying to save time and capture as it happens.

I would appreciate any comments and suggestions. Right now we do not have a laptop, I am doing the research to see what works.

Thanks,

Tom Singleton
Tom Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2003, 10:33 AM   #2
New Boot

Yes.

I've never personally done it, but I know for a fact that it can be done. Hopefully someone else will reply with more details for you but I wanted to give you the short answer so you didn't have to wait around all day for a reply.

:)
Trevor Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2003, 11:08 AM   #3
Warden

Are you Mac or PC?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2003, 11:16 AM   #4
New Boot

Right now I am using PC. I have heard so much about macs that I reallly want to go that way. It would either be a mac or pc laptop. As of now I use PC
Old October 22nd, 2003, 12:57 PM   #5
Wrangler

On the mac you can use BTV Pro for this.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2003, 01:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

You should be able to do this.. I know Vegas can if I turn of DV device control. The camera streams out DV all the time, while recording or not. You just need a system that can capture it. For some laptops, you might need a hard disk other than the system disk for video, to keep from dropping frames.
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2003, 04:15 PM   #7
New Boot

Labtop dropping frames

I have tried capturing with my job Toshiba Labtop (I think it's a 1100 Mhz), but after 15 - 20 min. it starts dropping frames. I have 512 Mb memory. I think it's dropping frames because I don't have a separate disk for videodata. Just the 20 Gbyte systemdisk.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 07:36 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I do all my video editing on a laptop. I use external disks for all my video capture and editing. When you are using the system drive for video, the heads must keep seeking back and forth to write video data and perform other OS functions. A small external firewire drive is the answer for a laptop setup.
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2003, 07:44 AM   #9
New Boot

Thanks for all of the reply's. Now all I need to do is decide which laptop to go with (Mac or PC)

Thanks again for all your help.
By the way, any comments on the laptop would be great! As a church I want to make sure we invest in something good that will do the job.

YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!

Tom Singleton
Old November 2nd, 2003, 07:37 PM   #10
Major Player

I use a satellite pro, with 512 Ram and a firewire card in those laptop slots (dunno whats its name) and it runs perfectly, i have capture more than 30 mnis with no problem and that card costed me 99 bucks...
Agus Casse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2003, 07:53 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Agus,
Where did you buy that card. I have been looking for one. Is it only one port?

Randy Brazell
Barry Gilbert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC