Trying to get a certain effect, but have no idea where to start... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 1st, 2003, 01:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Trying to get a certain effect, but have no idea where to start...

I want to have a video playing, then have text fade in, but inside the text I want to have the video playing behind it inside the text in B & W.

Sorry about not be descriptive in the title, but I had no idea on how to explain it all in a little space.

Thanks
Ryan Krga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2003, 04:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I think your looking for an effect like this...

www.curtkay.com
[click the image to enter, click videos, and then click the decade video]
(note: you need windows media player 9 to view it)

I make this with VV4, but i'm sure theres a way to do it with premiere.. if i figure out how, i'll post it.

-Kay

http://www.curtkay.com
I WILL not be held down.
Curt Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2003, 01:37 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Curt, that's not the effect I was trying to describe. Let me try to describe it a little better.

There is a normal colored clip on the timeline. I want to add text, but instead of just regular text I want to have the text be the same video playing in the background, but in black and white.

I made this little picture to show you want I'm going for, but used a rectangle in place of the text since I don't know how to do it with text.

http://www.visital.com/text.jpg

Notice how in the middle of the picture by the two TV monitors it is all black and white with the colored image behind it?
Old November 2nd, 2003, 02:51 AM   #4
Major Player

I don't know what program you're using, but it sounds like what you want to do is duplicate the layer of coloured video, turn it black and white and make a subtract (I think!) mask in the shape of the text.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 01:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes, Alex, that is exactly what I'm trying to do.

I'm using Avid Xpress DV 3.5 right now, but have Premiere Pro.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 07:19 PM   #6
Major Player

Okay, Ryan, I don't have Premiere Pro but I have 6.5 so this should apply:

1. Your black and white video layer goes on the bottom, colour on top. Make your text in Photoshop and save as a PSD. Your text should be black (background doesn't matter, you'll just select the text layer when you import it into PP).

2. Right click on the top video layer (the colour one) and go Video Options > Transparency. Under Key Type choose Image matte. In the top left of the dialog box, hit Choose and select your PSD. It's going to ask you which layer you want; point it to the text layer and it OK.

That should be it! That's one way to do it, I'm sure there are tons.. but I hope that works for you!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC