newbie problem with sb1394 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 9th, 2003, 02:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

newbie problem with sb1394

newbie problem:

i am using my sound card SB1394 to capture the video from my camcorder ag-dvc80, and i am using premiere pro. so my camcorder is connected to the computer with the 1394 cable, but when i tried to capture, it didnt seem to recognize my device, when i choose "capture" on premiere , it says device offline. I tried to modify the device control, but it doesn't allow me to check it online. Do I need any setup before I can capture the video using the SB1394? Sorry if this question sounds dumb, as I am totally new to this stuff...
thank you.
Johnny Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 11:23 AM   #2
Major Player

A few questions:

Which SoundBlaster/Audigy card are you using? Is it the kind that comes with the "breakout box" input panel that installs into one of your front drive bays? Or are you just plugging into the card itself via the rear of the computer?

What version of Windows are you running?

Does Windows recognize the camera (or any other IEEE 1394 device) when it is plugged into the firewire input? When you plug in your camera, click on My Computer and see if it is listed (usually in a devices section below your hard drives and disc drives).
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 01:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

just happened to solve the problem. thanks anyway
Johnny Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 08:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Can you share your insight for future people with this problem?
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 08:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Actually it was quite embarrassing... i couldn't get it working because i forgot to install the sound card driver properly... but it maybe a good advice for those newbie... don't panic (like me) if it doesnt work, always check everything before you start.. :)

btw, i am using a SB0090 card and XP, the capture works fine with no dropped frame.
Johnny Cheung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC