cd writer woes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 16th, 2003, 02:11 AM   #1
Major Player

cd writer woes

I wonder if anyone has any links to where I can any updates on updating my hp 9100 cd writer? I've checked the official site and they are pretty much redundant. Which I think is rediculous. My hp seem to not to see files that are previously been recorded to a disk that has space left for more burning actions. At teh moment it doesn't see a blank disc at all. I've tried every where and if no one can help me I might just have to scrap it for a new model. A real pity I think. The HP support sucks big time. What a drag.
Old December 16th, 2003, 02:26 PM   #2
Major Player

A few questions, if I may:

What are the "updates" that you have tried? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device/drivers via Windows Device Manager?

Did you install any new programs or hardware before this problem started?

I can't think of an update, per se, that would fix this problem -- unless you have some specific reason to think that there is a firmware upgrade that addresses this problem.

It very well may be that your CD-RW drive is now dead. At $30-$50 for a new one, it might be worth it to just cut your losses and buy a new drive.
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 03:08 PM   #3
Major Player

"It very well may be that your CD-RW drive is now dead."

You know, you might be onto something because I tried installing the drivers that came with the burner and it wouldn't load. Kept getting an error that the driver cannot see that a burner is installed. I checked everthing out on the burner and it's connection but everything is fine. Oh well, I guess I have to cut my losses. Thanks.
Old December 16th, 2003, 04:55 PM   #4
Major Player

Have you tried looking up the device under Windows' Device Manager? If Windows still recognizes the device in the Device Manager, you can "uninstall" it via the Device Manager, reboot the computer, and see if Windows sees the "new" hardware and aks you to reinstall the drivers.

You can also open up your computer and manually uninstall and reinstall the drive -- maybe try a different IDE connector...

Again, it's just a matter of what your time is worth -- it may be worth $50 for you if you don't have to go to all this trouble (but you'll have to open the computer up either way...)
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 09:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC