Which editing card to choose for a several uses? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 12th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Tourist

Which editing card to choose for a several uses?

Hey all :)
I want a recommendation for editing card that will work with Premiere , Avid (Common but very meticulous with the hardware right?), Vegas etc...

I'd good experience with some Matrox (RT.X 100 I think) and premiere 2.0,Wedding in most of the cases and this will be serious part of the uses.

Thanks in advance.

Yaakov.
Yaakov Shoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:59 AM   #2
Trustee

The best capture card with all those NLE's is a 1394a card or use the one on the mobo.
Matrox I would definitely advise against.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Tourist

Capturing and editing suppose be separated cards (?).
Capture cards is suppose to be cheap compared to editing card so I'll take care of it later.

Premiere with Matrox on PC crashes (too?) many times.What's about the Blackmagic cards?
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #4
Equal Opportunity Offender

If you are getting crashes with Premiere and a Matrox card such as the X.100, then you are most likely to have a sub-optimal hardware setup. Don't blame Matrox for this.

I put together my X.100 editing box from the list of hardware components that were tested and approved by Matrox. The end result? Rock solid real-time editing. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #5
Major Player

What do you want the card to do? Are you capturing SDI? Fullscreen playback to an LCD? CPUs have advanced to the point where hardware accelerators are rarely of value. Matrox's acceleration is obselete, and only really useful as an I/O card. For an I/O card, the question is which compression format would you like to use? Matrox uses MPEG, BMD uses MJPEG, AJA can be used with Cineform, Avid's Mojo uses DNXHD, etc.

Blackmagic and AJA are both supported in Premiere and I believe in Vegas as well. Avid only supports their own dedicated hardware, in the Mojo DX and Nitris DX. As noted before, I/O is the only real reason to need a card at this point, but what kind of I/O do you need? Are you capturing from decks, or shooting tapeless? AJA and BMD support dual link RGB, Matrox and Avid do not. They all support 10bit color at a certain level. You just need to figure out what your requirements are.
Old April 16th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #6
Equal Opportunity Offender

I wouldn't call Matrox's acceleration cards obsolete at all. Especially if you prefer to have your video monitor always operating at 100% resolution (compared to a Premiere-degraded computer screen display) and/or a time lag between what you do and what you eventually see (for those previewing through a firewire connection to their camera or deck).

Matrox (speaking in the case of the X.2 card which would be of most relevence here for HD video) will not only capture in Mpeg2 format (MPEG-2 4:2:2 I-frame up to 50MB/sec), but the native DV and HDV codecs as well.

Then there's the incredibly valuable feature where you can save thousands of dollars by using a regular DVI connected LCD screen as your video monitor, complete with the tools to calibrate it to perfection.

Stack 6 layers of HD video in a timeline with individual colour corrections and other filters applied and tell me that a software only solution does it for you.

Even if you only use it to save dollars on othewise purchasing a professional LCD video monitor, the Matrox-enhanced workflow is far from obsolete.
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 04:29 AM   #7
Tourist

Hey Andrew Smith,
The prevailing opinion in my area the Matrox + Preimeire + Windows = Crashes,good to hear that is wrong.

Hey Mike McCarthy,
The source videos will be received from photographers (tapes) in most of the cases,
The main use is to receive tapes and to return disks that the costumer can watch.

Multicam is very important (ABroll).
Sorry for the not detailed answer,I don't have the knowledge to explain myself better.

Thanks again.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:31 PM   #8
Trustee

Matrox cards work fine IF you have properly spec'd hardware. if you don't, YMMV. The acceleration that MAtrox cards do for Premiere is a big big help. once you use one, you'll not want to go back to anything less.

Avid ONLY uses Avid hardware, period. Only FW I/O is their generic interface.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC