768x576 square pixel footage not appearing on premiere at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 24th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #1
New Boot

768x576 square pixel footage not appearing on premiere

I have imported an avi file with 768x576, 25 frame rate and pixel aspect ratio 1.0 into my premiere DV PAL 25fps 720x576 settings. I cannot get anything to appear on the timeline or the source monitor - all I have is a black screen. I have tried to conform the avi to the project settings but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Does anyone have any ideas please?
Old April 24th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #2
Trustee

Is this a new installation of Premier? Has it worked before?

To check the footage, try to play it back in another player to see if the footage is good. Beyond that, I'm stumped. I have never heard of this problem before.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #3
New Boot

The footage is on a CD and plays well with Windows Media player. It is actually medical footage thast was recorded using equipment specific to radiology - I am trying to extract the footage and transform it to and mpeg file for insertion into training material using power point. I am using Premiere CS3 which has been fine for all other use.
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:31 AM   #4
Trustee

Curiouser and curiouser. Do you know what codec is used in the clip? If it's even remotely exotic, Premier might have issues with it.

You might try transcoding the clip into an uncompressed avi using Virtualdub and see if that works better. Beyond that, I'm at a loss on this one.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #5
New Boot

No, I'm not sure of the codec as I did not generate the avi. I'll have a look at Virtualdub (I assume that is something I download?) I'll have a look at that tomorrow morning. Thanks for your thoughts on this query.
Old April 25th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #6
Trustee

Virtualdub is freeware and easily Googled. Install it and see if it opens your file OK. If it does, you can resave using a different codec that Premiere likes better: basically you select /Video/Compression and chose a codec, then "Save as" to create the new file.

(If your clip is short, simply save as "uncompressed" and import that back into Premiere ... uncompressed does generate large files however.)
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #7
New Boot

Thank you so much Tripp and Graham. Tried this out with the Virtualdub software and I now have vision in Premiere. Great site and great solutions. Many thanks!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC