What is better, Windows MM2, or Avid FreeDV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 29th, 2003, 07:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What is better, Windows MM2, or Avid FreeDV?

What is better, Windows Movie Maker 2, or Avid Free DV?

I downloaded the Avid and it was DOG SLOW. I have a 3.0 Ghz PC with 2 GB ram and a 9800 graphics card with 256 video ram and an Apple 23 inch Cinema Display. Twin serial ADA Seagate drives raid0. In other works, a killer fast machine! Is this written in BASIC? It also did not refresh all the time.

As long as I am at it, if I buy a program, what is best these days? Vegas 4.0+DVD, Adobe PP, or AvidDV? I would only consider Adobe if it no longer sucks.
Robert Silvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2003, 08:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

"Which NLE is better?" is always thrashed out in every NLE forum, so you can search and bring up some of the old discussions.

You probably want to list what you want to edit and figure out which NLE suits you best. They each have their strengths/weaknesses. Vegas's audio editing capabilities are the best of any NLE and it's very powerful in other areas.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2003, 08:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If it is a Mercedes BMW question that yes, I should have asked more specifically. But if it is a Volvo, Ford, BMW question then the answer is BMW
Old December 30th, 2003, 04:15 AM   #4
New Boot

No Avid Free DV is not slow at all but as every Avid system
demanding - both the system and the operator should know what
they are doing. Avid Free DV is the basic functions from Avid Xpress Pro and makes it possible to test the Avid way of editing for free. Now apparently you have a conflic in your computer as
updating should function very smoothly. another thing Avid does
not recomend the use of the type of Raid you have.
Personally I dont think it was a good idea to offer free DV
like this as most people who try it thinks its "crap" it is simply
not possible to sit down like "that" and edit on an Avid.For schools
it is very good but then you have a teacher there (I use it in my
teaching). Avid is for you only if you are willing to spend quite a long time learing how to use it. In my oppinion it is second to none but only if you are willing to invest time and effort into it.
Vegas on the other hand be used already after a couple of hours
new Premiere Pro - someting inbetween..
Christian
Christian Stormbom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 09:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

But even when the UI is doing nothing it does not refresh on my system. I have had the system for 8 weeks and run all sorts of large apps and this is the first program to not refresh itself.
Old December 30th, 2003, 10:01 AM   #6
Regular Crew

But seriously, is FreeDV the same code base as the other products? Or is it a parallel product written in some scripting language?
Old January 2nd, 2004, 12:01 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Free DV should be based off other Avid code.

There are some installation issues so read up on them or backup before you install.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 10:55 AM   #8
Major Player

Question about "it doesn't refresh all the time." What does this mean, exactly? What does this look like? I'm asking as I finally was able to download AvidFree DV (the site kept giving me error messages) to take it for a test drive and I'm wondering about the viability of buying XpressPro to use on my Sony Vaio, given what I'm seeing... and I'm wondering if what I'm seeing is this "refresh" issue.

Basically the program itself works great (imports, cuts great just like my old Avid edit bay days), and overall I'm happy with what I've done with it (in the last 24 hours) particulary since I'm running it on a non-supported (by Avid) system. But open windows don't always show what they're supposed to without "effort." Sometimes what I see is the "frame" of the open window, but inside it is the desktop visible through that window, instead of the open program... until I click around, or move around said open window, and then the contents appear. Also, the timeline sometimes looks funky, meaning a portion of it "splits," but if I drag it up, then back down again, it redraws/refreshes(?) and looks fine. What's the usual culprit with these sorts of things?

I realize I'm trying to do this on the cheap, and that doesn't always work. (Bought the Sony at Costco and added more memory.) I don't have as great a video card (only 128) or as much RAM (only 1.5 gig) as the first post in this thread, so if he's having issues, I may indeed be doomed. But I'm wanting to get away from Final Cut, I'm not overly impressed with Vegas, and I want the ability to hand this project off to a pro bay if my funding comes through, which is why I was wanting to cut it in Express Pro, if at all possible, at this time. The hand off to a pro bay would be seemless. In the end I'm needing to cut corners at this stage (with no funding) whenever possible. And you all know how that goes... somethings work ok on the cheap, and somethings, well, you'd best not. (sigh) But if it edits fine, and it's just a matter of suffering through with this issue alone, well, for the amount of $ I saved, I can live with that. Then again, this may just be the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

As usual, any feedback/thoughts about all this would be most appreciated.
Marcia
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 12:19 PM   #9
Regular Crew

That is what I saw.

I am trying the Vegas demo and it is a very fluid interface. I tried it first on my old old 400 Mhz laptop because that is all I had that day, and I could ot believe it did not seem slow. It is multithreaded so you can often do things while it is doing things.
Old January 6th, 2004, 09:37 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for responding, Robert. Have downloaded the Vegas demo to try out today, but just thought I'd pass along to you what I discovered yesterday regarding this matter. I wandered around various Avid sites looking for answers to what we've discussed here and found a thread that mentioned removing (via add/remove programs) one of the Windows auto updates "Hotfix KB824141" as that might be the problem and had caused issues with all Avid systems. I removed it and voila, AvidFree DV worked flawlessly... not a refresh/redraw issue since. Of course, when I sat down at the computer this morning the Auto Update function told me that in the night it had down loaded Hotfix KB824141 and that it was ready to install... I declined. :-)

Best of luck,
Marcia
Marcia Janine Galles is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC