Reconmended Video cards for DVStorm2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 3rd, 2004, 11:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Reconmended Video cards for DVStorm2?

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a dual head Plus TV out (or triple head) video card for use with DVStorm2. I know Matrox Parhelia is one, but it doesn't work with DVStorm. Please, I need your advices. Thanks.
Tony Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2004, 12:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Only Parhelia or P-something has triple head. You can get 3 outputs by using a AGP card plus a PCI card. I don't recommend this though. Hook your NTSC monitor up to your deck, which should be connected via firewire to your DVStorm2. This is likely the best setup for you.

In my opinion, Matrox cards don't help that much for video work. There's was another thread on this (search for Matrox). In my opinion the best setup is 2 LCD monitors hooked up to a dual DVI output video card like the Gainward 5600 cards or the Matrox P-series cards.

If you don't have 2LCDs then a basic video card from ATI/Nvidia will do. Check that they have the right outputs.

Is 3D performance important? (games, after effects, some other programs like edition)
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2004, 01:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your input!

3D performance is not very important to me. However, i do use After Effects. I am planing on getting one of these cards:

EVGA GeForce FX 5900SE, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "128-A8-N321", With Call Of Duty Coupon, -RETAIL
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?DEPA=&sumit=Go&description=14%2D130%2D179&searchdepa=0

Or ATI AIW Radeon 9600 pro

Any suggestions? Thanks.

You said: "Hook your NTSC monitor up to your deck, which should be connected via firewire to your DVStorm2."

Does that mean if i have the Storm i still need a deck to connect my NTSC monitor to the Storm? I am confused. Isn't the storm have an direct output to NTSC monitor or TV? Thanks.
Old January 4th, 2004, 04:18 AM   #4
New Boot

You may want to check out :

http://www.dvline.com/CFWebstore/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=138

This is a turnkey system built around the DVstorm card. You can check out what video cards DVline uses with these systems.

Lee
Lee Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2004, 05:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Re: Reconmended Video cards for DVStorm2?

<<<-- Originally posted by Tony Pham : Hi everyone,

I am looking for a dual head Plus TV out (or triple head) video card for use with DVStorm2. I know Matrox Parhelia is one, but it doesn't work with DVStorm. Please, I need your advices. Thanks. -->>>

Do your really need that? The DVStorm2 has a Analogue output from Premiere/Edius/After Effects - that should be enough!

// Lazze
Old January 4th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Generally the ATI cards are better but if you like your taskbar to extend on both monitors then I think only the Nvidia-based cards do that. That's kinda minor though. In terms of 3d performance, the following cards are good: ATI 9100, 9600nonpro, 9600pro, 9700pro, 9800pro. Nvidia Ti4200. Don't go with the 256MB version of these cards. I think the 5900SE is a great buy since Nvidia dropped the price on it a lot. Check how various cards stack up at this website: http://users.erols.com/chare/video.htm Unfortunately only gaming performance is compared. If 3d performance is not that important then you might want to look lower, like the radeon 9100.

If you want dual DVI output, then I think only the Asus/Gainward 5600 cards do that. Look at the pictures on newegg.com to figure out what's what. Both outputs the same color is probably dual DVI. If you want 2XVGA then look for two outputs and see if they include a DVI-VGA adapter (if not then the DVI output may not be able to do VGA output). The p-series Matrox cards do dual DVI output too.

Quote:
Isn't the storm have an direct output to NTSC monitor or TV?
It probably does (I don't have one). If you hook up your NTSC monitor to your deck first then you don't have to move cables around and you get to see what DV compression is doing to your image.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2004, 07:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone!
Old January 5th, 2004, 09:41 PM   #8
Wrangler

Storm has S-Video and composite video out so you can drive a NTSC Monitor directly.

I use the Radeon 9600 Pro and it greatly accelerates After Effects 6.0. As you know, any old display card works well for video editing.

Careful of the Matrox cards as some of their drivers do cause problems with Edius should you decide to use that software.
Old January 6th, 2004, 05:52 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I don't think i will edius anytime soon. But thanks for the warning Mike!
Tony Pham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC