Any issues with nVidia's Quadro FX 500 video card? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 29th, 2003, 08:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Any issues with nVidia's Quadro FX 500 video card?

I recently purchased a computer system that will be used ONLY for audio/video recording and editing. It hasn't been build yet, which may be a good thing!!! The computer system purchased has the nVidia Quadro FX 500 video card. Prior to purchasing the system, I looked up the video card and it looked like a good video card for the modest amount of money I had to spend.

Well. . . I just read in another forum that another nVidia product causes problems with the ASIO drivers. It's the nVidia nForce2. The poster commented: "If this driver is selected the playback of audio starts immidiately but the video/marker starts up 1-2 seconds later introducing a big lag. Reverting to an earlier version fixed this or selecting the direct sound drivers instead."

Needless to say, this didn't settle well with me. Not only do I use the ASIO driver for my video editing program (Vegas 4), but I also use it for two midi/audio programs: emagic's LAWP and Steinberg's SX.

The sooner I can find out if there's a problem the better. I might be able to amend the order to include a different video card.

Thank you for your time!

Ted
Old December 29th, 2003, 08:23 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The nVidia nforce2 is a chipset for AMD motherboards.

The nVidia Quadro video is a professional workstation video card. Two different products. I don't think you'll have a problem.

I wouldn't use that card in a video editing setup though. The 3d performance of the card will only help you with programs that take advantage of that like After Effects. Vegas doesn't do that, unless you're using Boris Red.

That card does have dual DVI, but you could get that on the Gainward GeForce FX5600 cards and the Matrox P-series cards.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2003, 08:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Regarding the nVidia nForce product

Just did a little more homework of sorts.

The nVidia nForce appears to be an audio card. If that's the case, then hopefully nVidia's Quadro FX 500 will not be an issue for the ASIO drivers. Why should it be? The Quadro FX 500 is a video card.

Still, though. . . are there any known issues of ANY kind with the Quadro FX 500 video card?

Thanks! :)

Ted

P. S.

Glenn Chan - I see we posted about the same time. Thank you for your input. :)

Glenn wrote:
Quote:
"I wouldn't use that card in a video editing setup though. The 3d performance of the card will only help you with programs that take advantage of that like After Effects. Vegas doesn't do that, unless you're using Boris Red.

That card does have dual DVI, but you could get that on the Gainward GeForce FX5600 cards and the Matrox P-series cards."
I'm thinking about purchasing After Effects down the road! It's an expensive programs, though. Did spend some time on the Adobe site checking out After Effects. I liked what I saw! If I had the money, I'd purchase it now. It will have to wait. :)

Will look into the other video cards that you suggested, though.

Again, thanks! :)

Ted

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC