Can't get my PC to recognise the GV-D900e at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 5th, 2004, 03:45 AM   #1
Trustee

Can't get my PC to recognise the GV-D900e

Hi guys. I've been loaned a GV-d900 deck to do some capturing with but after plugging it into my machine, it's just not being detected by Windows Xp. The cable etc are fine as my XM2 works flawlessly in it. I've looked in the menus and on the unit and can't see anything that might look like it'd stop detection.

Can't find a manual to download either. Can anyone help me here?

Cheers
Aaron
Old February 6th, 2004, 02:43 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Aaron,

You mentioned the XM2 works ok, is this back to the XP machine or connected to the 900. If its back to the XP machine try hooking the XM2 to the 900 and see if they will talk to each other by themselves(just in case the firewire port on the 900 is dodgy). Otherwise it might be a XP 'funny' similar to what happened with the VX1000(cam not recognised). I think that was fixed with Service Pack 1.

Cheers

Jon
Jon McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 03:18 PM   #3
Trustee

Jon, yeah the XM2 is fine to my computer. I'll have to get a small (4pin) to small firewire cable to test the connectin between the two though but I might do this if I have no luck.

Thanks
Aaron
Old February 13th, 2004, 12:58 AM   #4
Major Player

Are you trying to plug a 6pin Firewire into a 4pin connector? Most computer side are 6pin (the big opening) and nearly all video equipment are equipped with 4pins.

If you have done exactly that with your PC power on, you might have shorted out the GV900 internals.

Reason - 6pin Firewire all carry a 15Volts 5amps current (intending to keep powering up external hard-disks and other computer peripherals). Nearly all video equipment don't need this current.

4pin Firewire connectors don't carry the current, just only the data traffic.

So, if you plug in GV900 with a 15V 5amps coming in, depending on the circuit design, it might or might not be able to withstand the shock.

You really need a 4pin to 4pin Firewire cable here, with a proper 4pin socket on your PC side to safely connect/disconnect video equipment.

TS
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2004, 02:19 AM   #5
Trustee

TingSern, thanks for that information, I never knew that about the 4pin - 6pin thing. My firewire cable is used for PC <-> Camera stuff and my camera needs it own power, but I guess that doesn't mean that the firewire port uses the cameras power, or needs it.

Thanks
Aaron

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC