buying a new video editing system at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 6th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

buying a new video editing system

Hi guys... we're in the market for a GOOD video editing system, PC-based. I thought I had a nice $10K package picked out but in researching the company, they have bad recommendations on this board plus from the Better Business Bureau..

So, back to looking. I like the packages offered on DVGear.com. Anyone willing to share their exerience, good or bad, with these folks? This is big money to us and I kinda want to get the equipment quickly and for sure with good customer service. ;-)

Thanks!

--Ralph
Old October 6th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Which non-linear editor do you want to use?
*You can try out the demos for a lot of the PC-based NLEs (NLE=editing software).
Sony Vegas
Premiere Pro
Avid

are the three I would try to check out. I'd also check out Final Cut Pro, but that's Mac-based.

2- What kind of editing do you do?
What formats (in+out)?
What's your definition of "GOOD"? i.e. fast, stable, powerful (as in, the NLE can do fancy stuff), good tech support

2a- Do you do a lot of serious color correction or audio work? If so, you want to spend a little more money on a NTSC monitor and (audio) monitors.

3- Does your budget include non-computer stuff like:
audio- monitors + sound treatment
NTSC monitor or TV
deck
furniture

4- Do you really need to spend all of that $10k?

With computers, you are better off upgrading often then going for the highest end stuff. You see quickly diminishing returns on your money past a 3.2ghz Pentium system. The faster single processor and dual processor system are only slightly faster but cost significantly more.

Also technology is changing fast so you will see computers double in speed about every 18-24 months. This is the reason to upgrade often.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply, Glenn.

I've been using Premiere for several years (and have Pro now), so I want to stay with that.

I want Canopus DVStorm and the packages that come with it. In the $10,000 I'm including monitors (including NTSC), a DV deck, etc. That said, I want the fastest machine I can get with the largest storage possible (something like a dual Xeon with 500 Gig of drives (2-250s). In pricing out a system on DVGear.com, I seem to be able to get all that with change to spare.

I've been using and writing books about computers for 25 years ;-), so that side I know well... I'm still learning the video side. But, all I'm asking here is DVGear.com okay? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

But you do make some good points, Glenn... and I probably should look at the other editors as well... especially, I guess, Avid?

Thanks again.

--Ralph
Old October 6th, 2004, 05:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

If you are going to build your own system, I would suggest buying your parts from www.newegg.com

Their prices and service are great. The only real catch they have is a restocking fee for returns (and no exchanges), so it is important to make sure that you want what you order, and that it will be compatible with your system.
Barry Lajnwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2004, 05:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks, Barry... that's a wonderful resouce! (and I'm sure I'll buy a bunch from them).

but, still looking for info on DVGear.com ;-)... they have some stuff I wants.

--Ralph
Old October 6th, 2004, 06:50 PM   #6
Inner Circle

An alternative is to go through Monarch Computers, which charges you street prices for parts plus $50 build fee. A similar system to the one at dvgear.com is about $600 cheaper. At Monarch it's $2600 for dual 3.0ghz Xeons (512MB cache) with 80GB+2X250GB hard drives, 1GB RAM, DVD burner +DVDROM, phone support and 3-year warranty.

No monitors. (check http://digitaltigers.com/displays-searchresults.php for which LCDs are good if you go that route- thinner bezel is better for dual monitor)
No sound card, no speakers (which you don't want from either Monarch or dvgear. Get M-Audio Revolution or better for the sound card plus some real monitors instead of consumer stuff.)

I'm not sure how the support between both companies compare, although monarch has an excellent resellerratings.com rating. For the price difference you could get outside tech support if need be- not sure where to get specialized professional tech support for video issues though, although there is this forum and others like it.

2- I'm not sure how well Premiere Pro takes advantage of dual processors. At Monarch, a dual Xeon workstation costs about $900 more than a single processor 3.2ghz system.

3-
Quote:
I probably should look at the other editors as well... especially, I guess, Avid?
From what I hear, Avid is good at cutting. If you are already familiar with Premiere though and can cut fast on that, I don't really see the point of Avid. In terms of power, Avid needs to export to other programs (which it can). Avid projects can go into online suites easily, but I'm guessing you don't need that.

You might want to take a look at Vegas if you do lots of compositing + effects stuff or audio mixing for your projects. You can do those things very well from within Vegas. Vegas is also strong at multicamera productions and multiple take stuff (i.e. music videos) if you learn the workflow.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC