from pinnacle dv500 to...where? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 30th, 2004, 04:46 AM   #1
New Boot

from pinnacle dv500 to...where?

happy to be part of this community
I am looking for some advice on where to go to upgrade my NLE. I´ve been using pinnacle dv 500 video capture card, premiere, canon XL1 for three years. I am satisfied with the results but...is there something out there to get more quality out of my XL1?
I heard of people working with uncompressed video. Are there video capture cards with less loss/compression?
Does that make any sense coming from mini dv tapes?
I´ve been said that if you don´t apply effects dv500 quality is okay but if you start manipulating image, degradation appears....is that true?
Thanks for your patience
Josema Herraiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 02:43 PM   #2
Major Player

I was working with a DV500 for about 2 years. I had nothing but problems. Firstly dropped frames, then black flashes between clips, then freezes, then weird transitions.
Moved up to a Matrox RTX100 Extreme Pro. I’m chuffed with my new Premiere Pro bundle, and the Matrox has given me virtually no hassle.

I can’t confidently comment of the differences in the video quality.

Remember, DV is already compressed on the tape. There’s only so much quality you can get out of DV.

There have been comments on analogue output differing from card to card, but I don’t know enough to say about DV.
Old November 1st, 2004, 09:24 AM   #3
New Boot

Thank you Richard for your remarks
I must admit that any time I configured my dv500 - drivers, updates...- it was a nightmare...but apart from that I haven´t gone through all those drops, blanks and problems.
But if I change I ´ll consider your advice very seriously.
As for no compression video capture cards... my dv500 has a video codec and I know dv comes from a tape with limited capacity of data...but maybe there are codecs with less compression or no compression at all.
Maybe dv500 is the result of a compromise between quality and file size...
Josema Herraiz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC