changing files systems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 1st, 2004, 02:23 PM   #1
Major Player

changing files systems

Hi folks,

just a quick question - does anybody use anything besides partition magic to change the file system on their hard drives?

I got a maxtor external drive that's set up with FAT32 and I want to change it to NTFS.

Suggestions? $69.00 seems a bit steep to do a one-time change.

Thanks a bunch!! Maybe this is built into XP and I just don't know where to find it.

Thanks again,
Milt
Old November 1st, 2004, 04:00 PM   #2
Major Player

WinXP uses the "convert" command for a one-time conversion to NTFS. Look it up in help.

For more options, right-click on "my computer", then choose "manage", then "disk management" under "storage". There you'll find all kinds of options to convert and partition HDs.
Old November 1st, 2004, 04:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Is this a new drive, or at least an old one with data that you don't need? If you just want to wipe it clean, all you have to do is right click on the drive and choose "Format" for a simple conversion to NTFS.

That said, if there is data on that drive that you want to save, you're going to back it up before you attempt the conversion anyway, right? So, once you back it up, you might as well wipe the drive clean and do a full format to NTFS, anyway, right?
John Britt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC