which video editing software? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 1st, 2005, 12:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

which video editing software?

Hi all,

I currently capture, edit and output with Pinnacle Studio 9 plus. I want to take the next step in software. I had alot of difficulty getting Pinnacle S9 to run properly and not crash all the time. I am considering to upgrade to Pinnacle's Liquid edition 6, but when I read their forums, it looks as though many of the Liquid 6 users experience many of the same frustrations I have had with Studio 9. It is a shame because I really like the easy to use interface of Pinnalcle. Although I do not know if Liquid Edition also has an easy interface as well.

As I said I am looking to take the next step in video editing but I do not want to steep of a learning curve as I will have to be self taught. My goal is always the best video image I can ultimatly output to DVD. As I said, I would prefer a "Pro" editing software that has an intuitive and easy to understand interface. Even if it meant it might not have all the bells and whistles of other more complex editors. I will mainly just be editing my home movies as well as some of my friends and families special events, possibly some weddings.

I am considring the Canopus Edius Pro 3. Does anyone have an opinion whether or not this would be a good fit for my needs?

Also, if image quallity is the most important issue when ouputing to DVD. How important is getting software like Canopus's ProCoder 2?

I might be misunderstanding what the function of software encoders are as it pertains in particular to capturing analog to digital AVI's to my hard drive. Are these encoding programs doing basicly the same thing as what already comes with your editing software, only at a higher quality? I have a new powerful PC, so I do not think I am limited in my options of editing software.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 12:35 PM   #2
Major Player

If you can handle self paced tutorials and don't mind reading a bit, the complete package from audio editing to video to motion graphyx to dvd output comes in one box: Adobe Video Collection.

Hands down the most comprehensive all in one dv production suite.

In a few minutes from now the Vegas users will chime in. Nothing wrong with Vegas but you have to remember it is a Sony product.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 12:47 PM   #3
Trustee

I jumped from Studio 8 to Liquid 4.5 and have not looked back. Now on 6.1. At $299 for the upgrade, it would be a deal.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 01:08 PM   #4
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Jimmy McKenzie : Nothing wrong with Vegas but you have to remember it is a Sony product. -->>>

That means it'll actually work and not scatter files to the four winds across your hard-drive. I don't know of a product worse than Adobe PPro for wasting hard-drive space.

And the same self-pace tutorials are available for Vegas (and others...so that doesn't make Adobe special).

Best advice on this topic is repeated each time it is surfaced:

Download the trial versions, play with them, and then decide. Vegas users almost universally think you'll choose Vegas if you do that. Or you could just spend big bucks on the Adobe collection and then come to Vegas later. ;)
Old April 1st, 2005, 01:11 PM   #5
Major Player

To repeat, there's nothing wrong with Vegas. It's just that the Vegas users tend to beat their drums a little harder. And that's ok with me too!

So I won't waste any of your hard drive space with a product slanted retort.

I agree with Patrick in that the demo versions are available for testing purposes.

Bon Chance!
Old April 1st, 2005, 01:16 PM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

<<<-- Originally posted by Jimmy McKenzie : In a few minutes from now the Vegas users will chime in. Nothing wrong with Vegas but you have to remember it is a Sony product. -->>>

Ummm.... So? What does that have to do with anything???

All NLE's have their advantages and disadvantage. I like the advantages in Vegas but realize others don't. I just demo'd Vegas for a couple of people using Pinnacle Studio 8. After seeing what it can do, they are in the process of switching (they said when they started rendering they were afraid to touch the machine again until it got done because doing so in the past caused it to crash way too frequently)

With the powerful scripts and the powerful audio tools available, Vegas IS a strong contender. Of course I think Edius and Premiere should both also be taken into consideration. I believe they all have demos available. It may be best to install the demos and test them each out.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 04:48 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Pinnacle Liquid Edition is not Studio...Here's some things LE users love about it:
1: Rock solid...Crashing is not an issue here, but if it does, it's got an auto save technology preventing the crash from wiping out your work. (Saves projects every .3 seconds.)
2: Background Rendering...While the computer is rendering you're working on othe clips. A Huge timesaver.
3: Mousewheel support. Frame X Frame advance with a mousewheel is very intuitive, but many NLE's don't have that feature.
4: Excellent Color correction
5: Dolby 5.1
6: I don't have LE 6.1, but as it has a standard windows-type interface, that is a little more friendly than my 5.6 one.

Some problems...
1: Title Deko (CG Package...) is poor at best. Very similar to the Studio one, and bulky at best.
2: We've been asking for plugins for Sonic Fire pro for years...still nothing.
3: Minimal 24P support. (Only works 2:3, and will not capture in 24P) This is a major issue for me, and is causing me to look to consider Vegas.
Bill Zens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 05:12 PM   #8
Major Player

I know Chris is not a big fan of the back and forth diatribes that can quickly flame up on message boards, so I will engage you with one short reply in that due to a recent misadventure of overpromise/overhyperbole and under deliver/under support from the optics division, I can report that some companies still moniker their inherant product maladies as "normal".

But that's a bit unrelated to the topic at hand.

If they simply mentioned up front that their top of the line prosumer offering created unusable images, then I politely would have reached for the Nikon first. Chromatic abberation is quite a mouthful. Normal is easier to pronounce.

Now then, back to the topic.

Anyway, I am in large agreement with Bill in that while there are innovations in LE, the drawbacks of titledeko and limited audio tools cause this product to be a last considered option. Basic keyboarding functionality should/must be part of a titling package. I struggled with it as a previous dv500 owner. That small part of the equation is ironically the deal-breaker. In this example, Vegas would likely be the easiest and most intuitive migration. Then you could switch to ... you thought I'd go there didn't you...
Old April 1st, 2005, 05:12 PM   #9
Capt. Quirk

"That means it'll actually work and not scatter files to the four winds across your hard-drive. I don't know of a product worse than Adobe PPro for wasting hard-drive space.
"
Adobe just needs to be disciplined, and told where you want things to go. That said, I learned on Premiere 4, and have used it since. I have not upgraded to Pro yet, because of my phobic reaction to XP. Premiere is a fairly simple and straight forward NLE to use, although it can be buggy.

With that said, Liquid Edition sounds cool, just because of its auto save feature... Maybe worth trying to find a demo.

So, the final answer? Download any and all NLE demos you can find, and find one YOU like.
Old April 1st, 2005, 05:19 PM   #10
Major Player

Keith ... there's news..

The new autosave in PPro works great. Writes a secondary file and you choose when to save yours. Given the apprehention toward XP, I understand completely. Tweaked just right, this is a solid setup. Be sure you have a P4 2.4 or higher if possible.
Old April 1st, 2005, 05:28 PM   #11
Capt. Quirk

No! No! No! I WON'T use XP! I won't, I tell you!
Old April 1st, 2005, 05:41 PM   #12
Major Player

Without creating any nasty flashbacks, I just have to know: <whispering;> You're not using fat32 are you? 2 gig filesize limit and all? I assume you're on NT?
Old April 1st, 2005, 05:50 PM   #13
Capt. Quirk

I'm using ntfs on win2k. I had my machine upgraded not long ago, and they gave me a bootleg version of XP. Aside from the moral implications, I just didn't like the feel of XP at all. So... I'll stick to 2k until they have something I like, or it no longer works with anything.
Old April 1st, 2005, 06:16 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Thanks for the responses.

The reason I was asking about the Canopus Edius Pro 3 was because when I called their tech. support I was really impressed how much they were willing to answer my questions considering I had not even purchased the product yet.

I would like to know your opinions about this particular NLE. Judging by the lack of response can I assume it is not very popular among the Pro's. If so, why?

Also, any comments on my origianl question regarding the encoding capabilities of the Canopus' products compared to the others?

Thanks,

Mark
Mark Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 06:24 PM   #15
Capt. Quirk

I just can't justify the expense of new hardware/software, until I get steady work. Therefore, I can't give an opinion on it. But, I'm happy with Canopus DV Storm's hardware.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC