Movie Editing software? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old April 5th, 2005, 09:04 AM   #1
New Boot

Movie Editing software?

like the title says, i need some help on movie editing software.

i'm pretty much an amateur amateur, so any help would be appreciated.

i'm in the market for a movie editing software. i done my research and the "Pinnacle studio v.9" pretty much meets my criteria. But it didn't really get a good review, as far as crashing goes. I'm not really into hardcore editing. just want something easy like "Windows Media Movie Maker" but with better qaulity playback. These are my requirements, please help out if have any similar experience?

1. easy to use
2. able to post pictures and music (surround sound not to concerned about, ok if equipped.)
3. variety of transitions and ending and credits
4. able to write to DVD after project is finish
5. reliable (no crashing)
6. under $200

thanks much...
Khai Yang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Do a search on any of the "Editing Software" posts here. There's several.

Bottom line - pick the one you like best from

Sony Vegas
Adobe Premiere
Avid
or the myriad of others listed in the other posts.

Most, if not all, have demos you can always use to test them out.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Are you in school?

http://www.creationengine.com/html/p.lasso?p=13153
Van Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:06 PM   #4
New Boot

no i'm not in school.

i have a GL2, and vaio pent. 4 with 3.2G.

i only want to edit in 30 frame rate because most of my filming is in 30 frame rate.

i'm thinking about Sony Vegas, because of my desktop being a Sony for compatability.

any more advice? oh will the Vegas support 30 frame rate?
Old April 6th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #5
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : Do a search on any of the "Editing Software" posts here. There's several.

Bottom line - pick the one you like best from

Sony Vegas
Adobe Premiere
Avid
or the myriad of others listed in the other posts.

Most, if not all, have demos you can always use to test them out. -->>>

Ed,

If he really needs something to start with under $200, then Vegas Movie Studio + DVD will provide the same interface as big brother Vegas. At $99 from one of the sponsors here, it might fit if it will edit 30fps. Not certain about that though in Vegas Movie Studio. Adobe also has an entry level product, Premiere Elements I think.

Again download the trial of each, test drive them and then lay down your money. Now I just need to follow my own advice in selecting a camera, but I haven't figured out how to download a trial copy of that HVR-Z1U yet...keeps jamming my fax.
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:12 AM   #6

Yes, for under $200 my answer still stands, you just have to use the "lite" versions:

Vegas Movie Studio
Premiere Elements
Avid Free DV
etc...
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #7
New Boot

thanks a lot for all the help

done some search, and i will go with the "Vegas Studio + DVD"

because of the compatability of my Sony Computers (desktop and notebook "PCG-K37 and PCV-RZ44G", and the popularity of the software.

unless other wise?
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:37 AM   #8
Wrangler

Just because you have a Sony laptop does not mean that you should be tied into vegas. There is no guarantee that vegas will perform better just because you have a Sony computer. In the end they are using generic PC components (Maybe tweeked a bit) and running a Microsoft operating system. PC components (hardware and software) are constantly evolving.

I would find out first of all what the specifications are for your PC and then find out if they meet the recommened system specs by Sony, Adobe etc.

Hope this helps

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:52 AM   #9

As Ed said, check out the minimum requirements. However, Vegas Movie Studio will run on virtually anything you throw at it. I don't know the requirements for Elements.
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:45 AM   #10
New Boot

one more thing... have anyone of you or know of anyone that had use Vegas studio +DVD.

i just want to know if you will waste a lot of DVD's i remember somewhere where there was a review that one person said that he lost a lot of DVD's while creating his movies. I loose dvd's sometimes on my software "Click to DVD" but it's minimal.

any experience?

oh what i meant was i am sticking with Vegas, since i have mostly Sony products as far as electronics goes. but Canon is what i prefer for cameras (GL2 & 20D). After all Vegas does get a lot of good reviews and it's Sony, so it should be somewhat reliable "my opinion only".
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:01 AM   #11

Vegas+DVD has worked well for me. DVDA burns on all of my machines to all of my burners.

Some people have said DVDA does not burn to their burners. In those cases, another program such as Nero can be used to do the actual burning after DVDA finishes the authoring.

If you are talking Vegas Movie Studio, it contains a stripped down version of Vegas and DVDA.
Old April 6th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #12
New Boot

cool i have the "nero ultra 6 edition" thanks for the help Edward.

I have more confident in buying the Vegas now.

oh by the way i have Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects. got it for free from a friend who works commercially.

crazy stuff. it would be nice if it uses real world command and vocabularies.

I kind of wonder how long it will take me to learn the pro softwares?

lol
Khai Yang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC